PDA

View Full Version : Several viruses lurking; Need help clearing!

fsh2008
2008-11-29, 15:22
I am trying to clean up a Dell computer that was given to my daughter, then used by her to download music from Limewire, cruise the internet, and do online college work. Who knows where all of its infections came from, but there is every indication that it has several that are beyond the skills of our AV software (Panda AV Pro 2009) to clear. These are some obvious ones:

Windows XP auto-updater has been disabled and cannot be reenabled due to Error 1058.

Pop-ups from "mtn6.com-com.ws" show up regularly. Evidence of Vundo virus?

Two files were quarantined, and one Hacker Tool was found.

Lots and lots of spyware was found and deleted.

I am not currently using the infected computer to type this, so cannot check details on some of these at this moment.

I would like to bring this computer back to a clean state so that we could keep it that way. Where shall I proceed from here?

Thank you.

pskelley
2008-12-01, 14:57
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Make sure you read and follow the directions, anything else will slow the process and waste both of our time. I suggest you keep this computer offline except when troubleshooting, the junk may download more. If you have any tool I use, delete it and download it new from the link I provide. Read and follow the directions carefully, the tools will not work unless you do.
The junk can be tough to remove, so do not expect fast or easy.

Well, posted above and pinned (sticky) to the top of this forum are the directions. Start by reading and following all directions and then post the plainly described HijackThis log. From the limited information you posted, I can not say if I can help or not, but that would be the way to start.

I suggest you read all pinned information since you mention Limewire, especially this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=282

Thanks