PDA

View Full Version : virumonde is sucking the life out of me

tamparay
2008-11-29, 20:49
Question - after reading through quite a few posts on virtumonde. I have virtumonde and virtumonde.prx that I can not get rid of. Tried spybot - diconnecting from the internet and rebooting. Rescanning and doing the same again and again. I also tried vundofix and that did not even pick up the trojan. Avast does not see it either. When I scan with spybot it picks up both strains. No other spyware at this time. I can delete from the spybot screen but I understand it attaches itself to a start file and just replicates itself as you delete it.

So my question ultimately is looking at some of the fixes that you need to go through using combofix etc. wouldn't it just be easier to wipe the hard drive cleen and reinstall everything? Will that kill this thing? (reformatting your hard drive) or is combo fix the only way to go. My laptop is pretty new so I do not have much on it that I will miss if I just start from scratch.

tashi
2008-12-01, 07:06
Hello tamparay,

Analaysts would have to see a HJT log in order to offer advice. :)

A reformat would start you off with a clean slate but there may be no need to take that route. Also, bear in mind there is always a possiblity that you have received a false positive on an infection.

A log is the only way to know. ;)

Cheers.