PDA

View Full Version : That little wheelchair guy (SpywareQuake)...

jashugan
2006-04-25, 15:42
Hi all,

So I got saddled with SpywareQuake yesterday. I removed it in Add/Remove Programs and ran SpySweeper (free trial). Since then, SpywareQuake no longer appears to be on the machine - it's not in Add/Remove Programs, and doesn't appear in the system tray after startup. Furthermore, spywarequake.exe and mssearchnet.exe no longer appear in the Task Manager - in fact, there's nothing unusual in the task manager that wasn't there before I got infected with SpywareQuake.

But - you guessed it - that little system tray icon that flashes between a wheelchair symbol and a "no-smoking" style strike-through symbol is still appearing on startup and won't go away. I'm getting the periodic pop-up box just above the system tray symbol, as well as occasional IE pop-ups and fake XP-style triangular '!' system tray icons with 'speech bubble'-style pop-ups, directing me to what I'm sure are highly reputable companies offering top-notch anti-spyware solutions. :rolleyes:

I've searched this site but couldn't find anything conclusive on my specific situation, so I thought I'd check with you guys before going through all the rigmarole of creating HJT logs and such. Hope you can help.

Cheers.

LonnyRJones
2006-04-27, 13:25
jashugan Hi

Yes first post a hijackthis log, after that a smithfraudfix report.

Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop.
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip
Extract all the files to your Destop. A folder named SmitfraudFix will be created on your Desktop.
Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press Enter
This program will scan large amounts of files on your computer for known patterns so please be patient while it works. When it is done, the results of the scan will be displayed and it will create a log named rapport.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT run any other options until you are asked to do so!

tashi
2006-05-01, 15:54
Due to lack of a response this topic will be archived.
If you need it re-opened please send me a pm and provide a link to the thread.