PDA

View Full Version : System tray icon + lock

CosMom
2008-12-03, 21:57
I've downloaded Spybot-SD v 1.6.0 to my desktop and laptop computers.
Yesterday I noticed that the system tray icon on the laptop has a lock over the Spybot icon. The message states "SpybotSD Resident 116267 processes blacklisted 283740 known ratings available"
Please explain, in simple language, what is meant by blacklisted processes
and known ratings.
What must I do to remove the lock over the icon?

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-12-03, 23:15
CosMom

The system tray icon is associated with TeaTimer.exe. TeaTimer is a real time monitor that performs two distinct functions:
TeaTimer Registry Monitor.

TeaTimer monitors Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object. When a change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring it appears that the change is actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that the change has been made, it checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a pop-up notification of the action it took. If not a TeaTimer popup dialog is issued. If you "Allow change" the change nothing is done to the registry. If you "Deny change" the change the registry change is reversed. Checking the "Remember this decision" option stores the information for that change so that similar changes in the future will be handled automatically. After you answer the pop-up dialog TeaTimer issues a pop-up notification of the action you took. Also note that if you close the registry change popup dialog without answering either "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change will be denied.

TeaTimer Processes Monitor.

TeaTimer monitors processes are running, or are called or initiated in the system. If a process matches a list of known malicious processes in Spypot’s detection files, the process is terminated.
The number of "processes blacklisted" is number of executables that Spybot prevents from executing and I believe that the number of "known ratings" represents the total number of "blacklisted" plus valid executables that Spybot compares against when monitoring the execution of process in your system.