PDA

View Full Version : Global (Host)

Sequoyah
2008-12-03, 23:59
My global host in Immunize will not change to being protected after each update. What do I do to change that? I'm very new at this so please explain.
Thanks.

drragostea
2008-12-04, 00:13
After the update, click on the Immunize tab (Shield) and click the Immunize button (Green Cross).

Sequoyah
2008-12-04, 03:57
I did that and it still will not say that I am protected. It says that I am not protected by 10000. All the boxes are checked. My operating system is Windows XP, Service Pack 3.
Thanks,

drragostea
2008-12-04, 04:46
Which sections are not being Immunized exactly?

ChalupaPatrol
2008-12-04, 09:12
My global host in Immunize will not change to being protected after each update. What do I do to change that? I'm very new at this so please explain.
Thanks.
If Global (Hosts) is checked, Spybot adds entries to the system's HOSTS file during immunization. If you have a firewall or some other security application that has the capability to lock your hosts file, then Spybot Global (Hosts) will show as unprotected after immunization.

I recently upgraded my ZoneAlarmPro firewall version, and while tinkering with the settings, I configured it to lock the hosts file. That was about a week ago, and I forgot about it until today when I updated Spybot. Sure enough, 38 Global (Hosts) were not protected, or not added to the hosts file. I was about to post here and ask for help when I remembered the ZoneAlarmPro setting.

I promptly unchecked the lock feature in the firewall and re-immunized Spybot and all unprotected items are now protected!

Bottom line, see if you have something locking your hosts file.

Good luck.

PepiMK
2008-12-04, 09:21
What ChalupaPatrol wrote is indeed one of the most common reasons. In Spybot 2.0 we'll inform (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=327) the user about such possible reasons at the end of incomplete immunizations. Here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272) is a list of similar special cases.

Sequoyah
2008-12-06, 08:56
I only have the Windows XP firewall.
My Operating System is Windows XP,
AMD Athlon X2 with
Firefox 3.0.4
Everything is updated, and is scanned weekly for all bugs.
I do not understand why the "Global (Host)" is not immunizing.
Do I need to un-install and re-install the program and see if it will help?
Any other suggestions?

ChalupaPatrol
2008-12-06, 20:22
I only have the Windows XP firewall.
My Operating System is Windows XP,
AMD Athlon X2 with
Firefox 3.0.4
Everything is updated, and is scanned weekly for all bugs.
I do not understand why the "Global (Host)" is not immunizing.
Do I need to un-install and re-install the program and see if it will help?
Any other suggestions?
Since I don't use Windows firewall, I couldn't tell you if it has a feature that allows you to lock the hosts file. Perhaps someone will assist you with that.

If I were you, I'd check to see if your hosts file is locked down (Read-only). Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS, right-click the HOSTS file and select Properties from the drop down menu. If Read-only is checked, remove the checkmark. Click Apply and OK. See if that helps.

Sequoyah
2008-12-11, 11:13
I did what you said to do, and it did absolutely nothing. I'm really not going to worry about it any more. It does bother me that I can not keep my computer safe, with all these jerks thinking that they are ruining Microsoft when they are really hurting the little guy who has to pay to get rid of all the bugs they put out there.
Anyway thanks for all the help that you gave to me. It gave me some insight on how really bad I am about computers and software. But I am learning little by little.
Thanks again.
Sequoyah

ChalupaPatrol
2008-12-12, 08:56
Hi Sequoyah

I'm really bummed that you are still having this trouble. I think you can discover the cause and remedy it, especially since you say you are learning.

Please tell us if you followed PepiMK's directions and clicked on the link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272) he provided.

Most everyone knows this, but perhaps you don't... PepiMK is the author of this fine software program we are using, and his word is golden. Please double-check his "various reasons for incomplete immunization". If you fit any of the following categories, there's help right around the corner!

Vista user
Computer Associates software user
AVG Antivirus user
ZoneAlarm user
STOPzilla user
Firefox 2 user

Thanks for posting back and keeping us updated!

Sequoyah
2008-12-30, 22:13
Called Windows Global (hosts) part that is not immunizing. It is now up to 10038. If you can figure out why this is happening would really appreciate it very much.
Thanks again for your help and patience.
Sequoyah

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-01, 07:44
Hi Sequoyah

Please share with us if you fit any of the following categories ...

Are you a Computer Associates software user?
An AVG Antivirus user?
A STOPzilla user?
A Firefox 2 user?

Until we learn from you that these can be eliminated, the answer to your problem could be found here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272).

Let us know, okay? Good luck! :)

Sequoyah
2009-01-02, 04:56
I do have AVG anti-virus free 8.0 on here, but I do not get any pop up windows about the tea timer not shutting down properly. I do not shut down my computer anymore, then again maybe I should. AVG anti-virus free 8.0 has not come up with anything. No bugs, and no anything since 2008 November 12. And that was a Trojan that was attached to a cd that I bought from Wal-Mart sometime last year. I;m just a bit frustrated is all...will figure this out eventually.
Thanks again for your help.

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-02, 05:50
I don't think AVG is the culprit, since you are not getting any of the 10,038 Global (Hosts) to immunize. I know you said the box was checked, but please look again to be sure. It would be crazy if it had become unchecked somehow, but you never know.

If the box is checked (as I suspect it is, since you said it is), I would recommend that you uninstall and reinstall Spybot. Please remember first to Undo immunization and turn off the Tea Timer BEFORE uninstalling. Uninstall instructions are here (http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html). Grab a fresh copy of version 1.6.0.30 here (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html) and proceed with installation and updating Spybot. Try your immunization again and see if you are good.

This is exactly what I would do if I was having your problem.

Edit in: Regarding, "I do not shut down my computer anymore, then again maybe I should."... Yes, maybe you should. Periodically rebooting will sometimes fix all kinds of little gremlins that mysteriously creep into your machine.

Good luck! :)

Sequoyah
2009-01-02, 23:48
going to take my computer over to a friend of mine and let him remove the program out of the registry. Knowing with my luck i would remove something that this computer needs to function. I do reboot this computer everyday, other wise it has a hissy fit...just like it's owner from time to time. Will keep you updated on the results.
Thanks again for all your help.

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-03, 00:32
It would be nice if the uninstall/reinstall fixed your issue. We look forward to hearing back from you, Sequoyah. :)

Sequoyah
2009-01-03, 02:09
did uninstall and re-installed the program, had a big reboot problem. Windows Explorer and Dr. Watson error windows showed up. Had to do a hard reboot just to get that problem fixed. That is one of the other reasons why I'm taking this computer over to a friend of mine to fix that problem. I even did everything except the registry, because I would probably rip something out that is needed for this computer to work properly. Like I said before I'm new at this, and I'm very thankful for all you have done for me. I'm not angry with any of you, but very frustrated with why this happening. It has not ever happened before when I have used this product.
Thanks.

MoneyPit
2009-03-01, 17:32
If Global (Hosts) is checked, Spybot adds entries to the system's HOSTS file during immunization. If you have a firewall or some other security application that has the capability to lock your hosts file, then Spybot Global (Hosts) will show as unprotected after immunization.

I recently upgraded my ZoneAlarmPro firewall version, and while tinkering with the settings, I configured it to lock the hosts file. That was about a week ago, and I forgot about it until today when I updated Spybot. Sure enough, 38 Global (Hosts) were not protected, or not added to the hosts file. I was about to post here and ask for help when I remembered the ZoneAlarmPro setting.

I promptly unchecked the lock feature in the firewall and re-immunized Spybot and all unprotected items are now protected!

Bottom line, see if you have something locking your hosts file.

Good luck.

I've just became a member of this site and it as taken me several months on and off to find the solution as to why my S&D left 10,450 unprotected files in "Global Hosts"
I too had the "Host" file locked in Zone Alarm and once I unlocked it, I did an immunization in S&D again and this time it showed O files unprotected. Thank you so VERY much ChalupaPatro.
I do have a follow up question regarding this matter.
Which do you feel is better: To keep the host file locked in ZA (which I was told to do by someone in ZA's Forum) and ignore the fact that I have 10,450 unprotected in S&D?
OR:
Unlock the host file in ZA and have zero unprotected files in S&D?

ChalupaPatrol
2009-03-01, 18:40
I do have a follow up question regarding this matter.
Which do you feel is better: To keep the host file locked in ZA (which I was told to do by someone in ZA's Forum) and ignore the fact that I have 10,450 unprotected in S&D?
OR:
Unlock the host file in ZA and have zero unprotected files in S&D?
Hi Dave,
Unlock the hosts file to immunize with Spybot, then lock it again. Each time you update and immunize Spybot, do the same thing... unlock the file via ZA, immunize with Spybot, then relock it afterwards. Thanks for writing back! :)

MoneyPit
2009-03-02, 09:46
OK ..... Thanks for your speedy reply. Will do :)
Thanks Dave :)

msmahlei
2009-09-20, 00:32
I have been reading the forums.
HOST file properties is unchecked.
My attempt to run SD as adm was unsuccessful as it only comes back as my userid, but nothing there says "run as adminstrator"

I am currently running Windows XP, Win IE 7.0 and McFee Security Sys. SD 1.6.2.46
I have also locked down the firewall and the same files 772 return back unprotected.

I am not familiar with tea timer, but I'm computer saavy, so I'm willing to attempt it with good references.

Thank you,
Mahlei

"Smart is when you believe half of what your hear. Brilliant is when you know which half to believe"

spybotsandra
2009-09-21, 13:44
Hello,

Some users have reported that they use SpySweeper or SpywareBlaster and shutting them down solves the problem. ZoneAlarm might also block the global hosts. If you go to Firewall in ZoneAlarm on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it you will see under General setting "Lock Hosts file".

Further please try the following:
Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize

The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18122&highlight=immunize+global
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19314&highlight=immunize+global
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17913&highlight=immunize+global

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

msmahlei
2009-09-30, 05:11
Hi Sandra,

I Opened Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize
But its still coming up as 916 now unprotected. I don't have spysweeper or spyware blaster or zone alarm.

My firewall in through MCAfee which also has an anti virus and firewall. AGain thank you so much for you help.

Regards,
Mahlei