PDA

View Full Version : What is recovery and immunize

Dodge Swinger
2008-12-04, 01:58
Got used comp. with SpyBot already, hadn't been used for 2 yrs. Got it up and running, completely updated. I'm so new my paint runs, I don't know how to use it. Help, please. What is recovery? What is immunize? What does it mean when it says 'unprotected 64608' 'protected 6529' I run it as best I can and am sure it's doing its job, I just wish I knew what I was doing.

drragostea
2008-12-04, 02:21
To start up, read this thread by md usa spybot fan explaining how Spybot-Search&Destroy protects you against the installation of spyware/malware:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
-
Recovery is more like a option where if you should accidentally remove something by Spybot and you need it back (something not functioning correctly later or just something that was legitimate). So items in the Recovery section are in Quarantine (more like jail, so the malicious content cannot harm or do any further damage to your machine).

Immunization is Spybot's passive protection, by adding entries to the Windows HOSTS file, so if you should accidentally visit a malicious site, the connection to that bad site will be blocked. So it's like a passive way to block unwanted parasites.

The link above should help you and answer your questions.

And welcome to the forum.

Dodge Swinger
2008-12-05, 01:48
As indicated I'm extreme novice needing any advice I can get. I know enough that this sort of protection is sorely needed and I'm really trying to learn what it is and how to use it. Please be patient if I ask dumb questions.

drragostea
2008-12-05, 03:44
Please be patient if I ask dumb questions.There are no things as "dumb" questions. The dumb question is the one that is not asked. We're here to help and assist you.

Do you want me to make it simpler and rephrase it in "English" (to make it simpler) :laugh:?