PDA

View Full Version : Saying hello and asking some questions

al5579
2008-12-05, 18:54
Hello, everyone. It's my first time here on this forum. I've been using Spybot S&D for about two years now and I must say this program is great. I first used this program when I noticed my Internet Explorer home page was changed without my permission. Spybot S&D had found a browser hijacker and quickly dealt with it. So, now I love how this program picks up and eliminates such things that my old anti-virus program didn't.

I have a few questions. (I don't know if this is the right place for it, so if it isn't I'll make note of it for future reference.) I was recently invaded (is that a correct term for this?) by a trojan and it seems most of it has been dealt with by Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The only thing I notice now is my system running a bit slower than normal. I want to make sure that this problem has been dealt with completely but I don't want to bother the Spybot Team volunteers with this since I noticed there are many problems in the malware removal requests section that are much more severe than mine. What should I do?

Thanks and I look forward to your replies and advice. :)

drragostea
2008-12-05, 23:36
Welcome to the Forums. What anti-virus program are you running? I would suggest you run Spybot-Search&Destroy and MBAM in Safe Mode (after bring both of them up-to-date). The reason I'm saying you scan in Safe Mode is because in Safe Mode nothing is running except the required Windows tasks, so basically almost eliminating the chance of a malware starting up too.

Run a scan and see what they pick up. The latest version of Spybot-SD is 1.6.0.30. Also, have you defragmented your drive lately? How about clearing the cache and temp. files from your system and your browsers (just naming the basics, but I hope it helps, even the tiniest bit).

al5579
2008-12-06, 03:31
Hello, drragostea and thanks for replying. I have the latest version of both AVG Free 8.0 and Spybot SD. I have recently defragmented my drive and cleared temporary files. But now I notice my system is starting up much slower now. I can't click anything and can only move my mouse for maybe three or four minutes. Plus, I noticed when searching in Yahoo and Google, I end up at a site called find.com even though the url in the status bar of my Firefox indicates differently. I think it's time I make a thread in malware removal and post HJT a log. It was a Virtumonde variant that got into my system. I was wrong to have second thoughts about asking for expert help in ensuring this threat was eliminated. Thanks for the advice and trying to help, drragostea. :)

drragostea
2008-12-06, 06:47
al5579's thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=40901
-