PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Manually Loading Spybot S&D

westripp
2008-12-07, 17:23
My system is windows XP SP3, Mcafee security suite is loaded. I what appears to be a common malware issue (from what I read in the forums), a malware that redirects my web searches, won't allow me to reach any webiste that might help, and won't allow me to load Spybot S&D. I have downloaded the software, but the first thing spybot trys to do is reach the internet for an update and the malware blocks it and the load crashes. I tried loading Spybot onto a thumb drive from another PC and run it from there on the infected PC but it would not run. My guess is because doing it this way did not properly load spybot into my resgistry. I tried sharing the infected PC over my home network to another PC that had Spybot loaded, but could not get that PC to scan the infected drive (aborted). This same virus is also blocking Mcafee from updating, but I got around this by manually loading the updates and updating the registry entry. Mcafee found a virus after that, but the problem persists. One of the symptoms of this malware is that it loaded its own desktop on the PC that is black and flashed a banner telling me I have a virus that only they can fix and then locked out my ability to change my desktop screen.

FIRST QUESTION: Is it possible to run spybot from my thumbdrive? Are there some registry keys I can manually change to allow this to happen? I have another PC I can use to reach the internet or facilitate this issue if required. I do believe loading any software directly onto the infected PC or reaching any online scan or other site that might help from the infected PC won't work. I will continue to try things until I solve the issue. I don't want to reformat if at all possible as with the exception of web surfing and a really bad desktop screen, the PC is functional and I have many business files on the system that would take me days to rebuild. Does anyone have a process I can use. Thanks.

tashi
2008-12-07, 17:44
Hello,

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If you have lost your Internet connection on the infected computer, or otherwise cannot post from that machine; you can download HJT to a clean PC if one is available. You can also try this if malware is blocking your access to security forums and tools.

Upload to infected machine
Place HJT into own folder
Run HJT on the infected PC and post the log you produce using the clean PC.

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Please try that and let us know how it goes.

Best regards. :)