PDA

View Full Version : Spybot hangs on Virtumonde, then nothing

darcifaulkner
2008-12-08, 15:12
This has been going on for months, and I've been so busy I'm just now trying to track it down. When I run Spybot, it runs fast till it gets about 1/4 done, then virtually stops as it shows Virtumonde.sci and then Virtumonde.sdn. It can sit there for hours or all day and will finally finish if I give it time. At the end, there are only the usual suspects to fix, no Virtumonde.

I've been researching, and I don't have the pop-ups associated w/ this Trojan, but about the same time that Spybot got strange, my pc slowed way down, seemingly overnight. I blamed it on my cable/server.

I have Kaspersky, and I've run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpy, and SpywareHunter. Nothing was found. I hope someone will help me find out if I'm infected and if so, what to do about it.

spybotsandra
2008-12-08, 16:00
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

darcifaulkner
2008-12-09, 14:15
Sandra, I'm sorry to be so slow in replying. I thought I would get an email notification if someone responded, but I didn't.

My version is 1.6.0

darcifaulkner
2008-12-10, 22:12
Hello?:santa:

md usa spybot fan
2008-12-10, 22:21
darcifaulkner:

... I thought I would get an email notification if someone responded, but I didn't. ..
To get notification if responses to this thread: While displaying this thread, try clicking on "Thread Tools" (in the menu bar at the top of the thread) and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".

dixon
2008-12-11, 12:55
darcifaulkner:

To get notification if responses to this thread: While displaying this thread, try clicking on "Thread Tools" (in the menu bar at the top of the thread) and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".

I am a newcomer to your forums and having had the same trouble with
skybot hanging on Virtumonde forever would like to try your suggestion but I cannot find the 'Thread Tools' you mention in your reply. My apologies for butting in on your thread.
Dixon

darcifaulkner
2008-12-12, 00:23
Ok, but I'm still hoping for some help w/ my original question.

dic penderyn
2008-12-12, 18:46
Hi Marcy, sorry i'm unable to help.but i have a similar problem to yours. My scan hangs on virtumondedll for about 40 mins then clears, and carries on at a quick rate until it comes accross Zlob downloader & schmit, then it slows right down again, it takes about one and a half hours to scan just because of those two items. It may just be coincidence but my PC was clear until i installed Kaspersky, i have since uninstalled it, what a waste of money !:sad:

darcifaulkner
2008-12-13, 14:25
Hi, dic penderyn. That's a little more info to add to the puzzle, and it helps to know this exact same thing is happening to other people. When I bought Kaspersky, I paid to install it on 2 computers for 2 years (the best bargain), and I haven't been overly impressed w/ it on any level. When 2009 is over, I'll probably either go back to Symantec or try something else.

Actually, around the time this all started, I was beta testing some digital art software, and I've been thinking it was the culprit. I uninstalled everything relating to it, but if this is a virus/trojan, then it's already in there. I just don't know why none of the spyware killers have been able to identify or locate it.:rolleyes: