PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server 2008 as Workstation

stubbo
2008-12-09, 01:22
I use a copy of Windows Server 2008 as a workstation OS and have installed SBSD but I get a bunch of errors in the event list. Are these problems that can be solved, or can SBSD not be used on WS2008.

For the most part everything seems OK, just get these errors.

1 ======================================================
The SBSD Security Center Service service depends the following service: wscsvc. This service might not be installed.

2 ======================================================
The description for Event ID 0 from source SDWinSec.exe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Invalid namespace
========================================================
For 1 above, Windows Server 2008 doesn't have the security center service, is this a must have for SBSD.

For 2, not quite sure what the error is as the message says the event ID is missing, I guess it may be related to 1 above.

Can I use SBSD with WS2008 or not (couldn't find a supported OS list on the website), and if it can what do I need to do to fix these errors.

CarefreeComputers
2008-12-09, 02:34
Have you tried running Spybot S&D as as Administrator?

I often find that users complain that Spybot is unable to function properly when they are using it as an ordinary user.

Let me know if that helps.

PepiMK
2008-12-09, 09:45
If there is no Windows Security Center (do server operating system have no need to be protected? :D ), those messages are void, you can just disable the Spybot-S&D Security Center integration system service.

And the "Supported OS" list is right there on the Spybot-S&D (http://www.spybot.info/en/spybotsd/index.html) page ;) Doesnt list 2008, but that's just because i hasn't been updated in a while, we already tested on 2008.

irelandp
2010-01-07, 21:15
Hi, I am using a Windows 2008 R2 server as a desktop (I am a developer) and have installed Spybot. Whenever I boot the PC I get an event log message
"The SBSD Security Center Service service depends the following service: wscsvc. This service might not be installed."

The SBSD service does depend on wscsvc (see:

C:\Windows\system32>sc qc SBSDWSCService
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: SBSDWSCService
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SD
WinSec.exe
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : SBSD Security Center Service
DEPENDENCIES : wscsvc
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

And there is no service called "wscsvc" running on the system. There is however a service called "Wecsvc".

Is this the service SBSD depends on and the error is a typo, or is the problem more severe. Help appreciated.