PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Failure on Removal

Tharnax
2008-12-11, 03:14
Anyone run into a physical hard drive failure after running version 1.6? I just ran on my wife's computer (Dell Inspiron 8200) to get rid of "Antivirus 2009" and of 43 issues found, one was in memory and could not be eliminated. Immediately on clicking yes, allow spybot to load on startup the screen froze up and the internal hard drive began making clicking noises. I eventually had to power down the unit and now it clicks on startup, eventually allowing me to enter the setup utility (it is no longer recognizing the hard drive). Was having zero hard drive noises/issues beforehand and the timing does not seem like a coincidence...

Greyfox
2008-12-11, 04:13
Tharnax,

When a hard drive fails, and you are using the PC, the software in use at the time is immediately suspect. I have run many versions of Spybot, including most of the beta versions, on a number of desktop and portable computers, including a couple of Dell portables, (though not the 8200) and have never experienced a drive failure that could even remotely be attributed to Spybot.

Spybot's scan can push the CPU fairly hard and some have experienced thermal shutdown where dirt and other crud has built up and impaired the air cooling flow, but that is a different matter.

Fatal hard drive failures are unfortunately nowhere near as rare as you may think, which is why many choose to run drive and partition imaging backup software.

So I think it is just a coincidence, which probably doesn't help you a lot.