PDA

View Full Version : Vista blocked program problem

Emjay111
2008-12-12, 22:51
Hello folks,

I'm trying to install S & D v1.6.0 on a machine running Vista Home Premium edition.

This particular machine has User Account Control running, and no matter what I try, I can't get TeaTimer to run without manually allowing it at each re-boot (on each account).

I've tried it with Windows Defender turned off (Vista still blocks the program during account startup), and by messing about with Admin rights for all users etc. There doesn't appear to be any way of preventing TeaTimer from being blocked by Vista when UAC is enabled.

I've installed the Certificate that is provided with the install file, so it should be recognised as a valid program by Vista, but still, Vista blocks the program from running.

If I manually allow the program to run, everything's completely normal and working well.

I've trawled the posts in this forum, and this problem doesn't seem to have come up before (which I find hard to believe).

I did find a workaround on the net at this url:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=6509411

but I would have thought a well established (and respected) application like Spybot Search & Destroy would have been recognised by Vista as a genuine program.

Anyone ever come across this before ?

Thanks,

Marcus

drragostea
2008-12-12, 23:25
...but I would have thought a well established (and respected) application like Spybot Search & Destroy would have been recognised by Vista as a genuine program.
I guess [only] official Microsoft products are recognized :funny:.

I'm pretty sure TeaTimer will run automatically during startup (with these steps): You'll have to login to your PC in a Administer Account. Right-click the default Spybot desktop icon and click "Run as Administer". If there is a UAC prompt, Allow it. Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. The second option (Teatimer; protection over system settings) should be checked.

Emjay111
2008-12-12, 23:46
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the "Run as Administrator" option, with no difference. I've also tried Advanced Settings (in the Run properties box) and then "Run as Administrator for all users". No difference.

There is no UAC prompt.

The settings within Spybot itself are correct (once you manually allow it to run).

drragostea
2008-12-13, 00:05
Well, the main point is to open TeaTimer, so it'll start upon every reboot, not disappear.

Try it again: "Run as Administer" (Admin Account), Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. Untick the second option, wait for 30 seconds, and retick it. The TeaTimer icon should appear in your taskbar.

Give it a reboot and see how it goes.

Emjay111
2008-12-21, 14:12
OK, I've tried the "Untick / Tick" the resident option in the advanced mode, but it makes no difference.

What I find very interesting, is that the program that is getting blocked is TeaTimer.exe and it lives in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ etc, but if you browse that folder (including hidden and system files) - the program TeaTimer.exe is not actually there.

Presumably, teatimer.exe is spawned at each re-boot ???

Anyway, there doesn't appear to be any way of getting Vista to accept the resident part of Spybot to load correctly, which is very disappointing.

md usa spybot fan
2008-12-21, 15:11
Emjay111:

... What I find very interesting, is that the program that is getting blocked is TeaTimer.exe and it lives in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ etc, but if you browse that folder (including hidden and system files) - the program TeaTimer.exe is not actually there. ...
Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.