PDA

View Full Version : Help opening Spybot

Lady Aleena
2008-12-12, 23:35
I need help opening Spybot. Before I updated it, I had my old Spybot set up to run an update check and then a full system check. Well, the new update check hangs meaning I can't open Spybot. Is there a way to open Spybot without doing those two checks so that I can institute new settings?

drragostea
2008-12-12, 23:37
Aleena, have you configured Spybot to run a scan during startup? Your post is too vague, because it lacks detail. What Operating System are you running? Can you access Spybot from your desktop?

Lady Aleena
2008-12-12, 23:42
My operating system is Windows XP. I have Spybot set up to load during Start Up, but that is not the problem. The problem is that it will not open when I click on it since the update search hangs.

I tried to open it from the taskbar, Quick Start menu, and even from My Computer. It still searches for updates and might do a scan when I try to open the program.

It goes to the Spybot-S&D Updater first, and then hangs there. I click Abort to go around the updater, and the program won't open.

drragostea
2008-12-13, 01:21
I really don't think Spybot-SD "loads" during startup, unless you are referring to it's Resident Shields (which I doubt that is causing the problem). I'm understand that you cannot get past the Updater screen because it hangs?

Try uninstalling Spybot-Search&Destroy, reboot, and reinstall a fresh copy from:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-

Greyfox
2008-12-13, 04:10
My operating system is Windows XP. I have Spybot set up to load during Start Up, but that is not the problem. The problem is that it will not open when I click on it since the update search hangs.

I tried to open it from the taskbar, Quick Start menu, and even from My Computer. It still searches for updates and might do a scan when I try to open the program.

It goes to the Spybot-S&D Updater first, and then hangs there. I click Abort to go around the updater, and the program won't open.

With Spybot closed, using Explorer, goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy. In that folder you will find a file called configuration.ini. Rename it to oldConfiguration.ini. Then restart Spybot. It will automatically produce a new Configuration.ini file using the default settings.

Lady Aleena
2009-03-04, 01:10
Greyfox...I am so sorry that I had not come back sooner to see you most excellent solve! Thank you so very much!