PDA

View Full Version : My Comp Problems + Immunization

AriesNoViruses
2008-12-16, 03:42
MyWay.MyWebSearch: This toolbar gets installed via download from a website. It is also a plug-in for Microsoft Outlook , which is run at system startup. It told me that everytime I use the search function, a unique ID number is sent to a webserver. It also said when uninstalled, some entries may remain on my system. Spybot told me it was a PUPSC threat.

Fun Web Products: The second virus is said to install smileys and emoticons and even more things that I did not ask for. It is described as a Trojan because it doesn’t clearly state what it brings along.

And I had one last problem/virus that was from Right Media, but I wasn’t given any info on this.

My scan just finished and it removed the Fun Webs and the Right Media. But Spybot isn’t getting the Fun Web Products thing off. LASTLY, I ran my Immunization feature just now as well. Under “profile” it says none of my Firefox files are protected. My browser is through Internet Explorer so does this mean anything? What should I do?? PLEASE HELP ME.

drragostea
2008-12-16, 05:46
Here's a thread talking about MyWebSearch. It is a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) because it tends to deliver unpleasant results. As a general idea, what it does is that it builds a profile of your surfing behavior/history and sends it to a central server. Some users feel that this is an invasion of privacy.

Run a scan with Spybot-Search&Destroy in Safe Mode (just be sure to update it with the latest definitions) and remove the MyWebSearch entry.

AriesNoViruses
2008-12-23, 09:00
Here's a thread talking about MyWebSearch. It is a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) because it tends to deliver unpleasant results. As a general idea, what it does is that it builds a profile of your surfing behavior/history and sends it to a central server. Some users feel that this is an invasion of privacy.

Run a scan with Spybot-Search&Destroy in Safe Mode (just be sure to update it with the latest definitions) and remove the MyWebSearch entry.

I think my computer finally got rid of it - although it was the FunWebs that was hard to get off, not the MyWebsearch. lol. I dont know.

But how do I put Spybot into Safe Mode??

IanSn
2008-12-23, 17:47
Hi AriesNoViruses.
Are you an astrologer?
I run an astrology forum and have noticed over the past couple of years that nearly all astrologers who visit the forum are tagging funwebproducts along with them.
I have no idea where they are picking this up from, but it would be good to know so that I could warn them!

drragostea
2008-12-24, 00:14
You mean Spybot-Search&Destroy got rid of the PUP? Is Spybot-SD still detecting anything?

Update Spybot and run a scan in Safe Mode (tap F8 during bootup, just right before the Windows logo screen). Disconnect your machine from the Internet and scan.

AriesNoViruses
2008-12-24, 12:21
Hi AriesNoViruses.
Are you an astrologer?
I run an astrology forum and have noticed over the past couple of years that nearly all astrologers who visit the forum are tagging funwebproducts along with them.
I have no idea where they are picking this up from, but it would be good to know so that I could warn them!

No, i'm not an astrologer. but I am very into reading about astrology and personality traits!! you have a Froum? sounds cool! ;) so what is your sign?

IanSn
2008-12-29, 17:12
Sagi

You'll have to PM me if you want the link, I'm not posting it on here! :lip:

:)