PDA

View Full Version : Tea Timer settings

astiller
2008-12-17, 20:08
I want to set Tea Timer to block unwnted changes instead of asking me to approve or deny the change. How do I change that setting?

Astiller

md usa spybot fan
2008-12-17, 22:13
astiller:

There is no setting within TeaTimer to automatically "block unwnted (sic) changes". You must decide what to allow or deny.

The registry change monitoring function with TeaTimer is not rule based (with a few exceptions) and is merely reporting that a change to one the registry keys it monitors has occurred. This gives you the opportunity to reverse that change by responding with "Deny Change" if you think the change has been initiated by something malicious.

My personal philosophy on handling TeaTimer registry change dialogs is:
Realize that the registry change monitor within TeaTimer is not rule based (with a few exceptions so it will not interfere with certain other security packages). In general it reports all changes within certain registry keys, good, bad or indifferent.
When a change occurs try to take into consideration what is happening on your system (installing, updating, removing malware, etc.).
If you can't figure out what the change is, don't necessarily "Deny …" the change. If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and even the security of your system.
Remember, if you "Allow …" all changes, you would be no worse off than if I didn't have TeaTimer enabled at all.
One additional note:
As long as the TeaTimer dialog is outstanding there is an opportunity to reverse the registry change by doing a "Deny change". This gives you a chance to either think about or research that type of change and what was going on in your system.