PDA

View Full Version : Malware infection "malware.jn"

Spudmeister
2008-12-17, 23:28
Hello
I seem to have an infection. I've read the "Before you Post" post and done the best to follow them.
A couple of years ago somebody from this forum helped me out very successfully so some of the software is still installed on the pc.

I've tried to run Spybot but it won't run up. I get an egg timer for a micro second and then nothing. I've downloaded the latest version, I've tried to uninstall the currently installed version with no success. I've tried to over-install the the current with the new - no success.

I've tried to run HJT but nothing. I've tired to install the latest version - nothing.

I think the malware is called "Malware.jn" but not sure.

Symptoms: Can't run MacAfee antivirus
Can't run Windows update
Can't go back to a previous restore point.

Appreciate your advise and time

regards

pskelley
2008-12-22, 14:33
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Make sure you read and follow the directions, anything else will slow the process and waste both of our time. I suggest you keep this computer offline except when troubleshooting, the junk may download more. If you have any tool I use, delete it and download it new from the link I provide. Read and follow the directions carefully, the tools will not work unless you do.
The junk can be tough to remove, so do not expect fast or easy.

You have the correct version of HJT, you posted with it here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26128

We will run combofix, if it does not want to run in Normal Mode, boot to Safe Mode and run it there. Be sure you read and follow all directions.
http://spyware-free.us/tutorials/safemode/ <<< tutorial if needed

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1 (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe)
Link 2 (http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe)
Link 3 (http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe)

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
See this Link (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html) for programs that need to be disabled and instruction on how to disable them.
Remember to re-enable them when we're done.

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/ken545/RcAuto1.gif

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/ken545/whatnext.jpg

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply along with a New Hijackthis log.

*If there is no internet connection when Combofix has completely finished then restart your computer to restore back the connections.

Tutorial if needed
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Thanks

Spudmeister
2008-12-22, 21:08
Hi
I appreciate your time and help.
I've read all the tutorials and instructions and I'm about to start the installation of Windows Recovery Console and then install and run ComboFix but wanted to mention a few things:

I downloaded ComboFix (using Firefox) and by default it saved it to a download folder of my own (ie. not the desktop). So I can't delete of move that version now :-) So I've downloaded it using Windows IE this time and saved it to the desktop; that's the version I'll use.
Will having another copy on the HD in another folder cause a problem for running ComboFix ?

As mention in my first post I can't access my AV software so can't deactivate them though I assume the virus has already done that for me.

I have already tried to boot into Safe Mode and it gets part way through and then blue screens me. Will this be a problem if we have to run ComboFix in Safe Mode ?

At the moment I can't run HJThis it gives me an error along the lines that it's not a Win 32 application. Will this change after running ComboFix? If not then I'm probably not going to be able to run HJThis after running ComboFix.

regards

Spudmeister
2008-12-22, 21:27
Did as instructed. Dragged and dropped the Windows downloaded system disk file on to ComboFix. It gives me the following error:

C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Desktop\ComboFix.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

and does not run.

What can we do next ?

pskelley
2008-12-22, 21:55
Will this be a problem if we have to run ComboFix in Safe Mode ?
No..what will be a problem is if you can not get it to run.

I suggest you not be concerned with Recovery Console now, sounds like you have bigger problems than that now.

Thanks

Spudmeister
2008-12-22, 23:57
So to summarise:

Can't run SpyBot S&D
Can't run HJThis
Can't run ChomboFix
Can't install Windows Recovery Console
Can't boot up into Safe Mode so can't run Chombofix in Safe Mode

What can we do next ?

pskelley
2008-12-23, 00:29
If you can't run any of the tools we need to use, then it is going to be hard for me to help:sad: Have you considered doing a reformat?
http://spyware-free.us/tutorials/reformat/
http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/reinstall-faq.html
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

You can give MBAM a try:
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your Desktop
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt
* Please post contents of that file & a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Tutorial if needed:
http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/tutorials/2282-malwarebytes-anti-malware-mbam.html

Spudmeister
2008-12-23, 01:23
I thought you were going to say that :-(
I had thought that a reformat might be necesary but wasn't looking forward to the 2 days work to get back to a working level with all apps.

However (for the time being) we have progress. I've downloaded and updated MBAM. It's running and after 30 minutes has identified 6 infected objects.
Will get back when it's completed and I've completed your list of tasks above.

Fingers crossed.

Spudmeister
2008-12-23, 02:54
MBAM scan completed.
Unable to remove a few items.
Txt file saved
PC rebooted as directed.
Have tried to run HJThis but presents the same "...not a Win32 application"

Here's the MBAM output file

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1533
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

23/12/2008 02:39:45
mbam-log-2008-12-23 (02-39-45).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 190558
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 40 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 14
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 50

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{50ccd00a-66b6-4d95-aaef-8ee959498f92} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\sk9ou0s (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\sk9ou0s (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\sk9ou0s (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sk9ou0s (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Bat (Adware.Batco) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Bat (Adware.Batco) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affltid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affltid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\stfngdvw.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\mule_st_key (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\m (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\drivers\srosa2.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP48\A0003749.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP48\A0003801.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP48\A0003828.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP49\A0003846.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP49\A0003938.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP50\A0003948.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP50\A0004045.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP50\A0004153.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004365.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004405.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004507.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004561.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004620.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004665.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP52\A0004697.sys (Worm.Bagel) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\m\data.oct (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\m\list.oct (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\m\srvlist.oct (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\YAd0IsiN.exe.a_a (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\avifile32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\avisynthex32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\aviwrap32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\browserad.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\changeurl_30.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\didduid.ini (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\msa64chk.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\msapasrc.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\123messenger.per (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ntnut.exe (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\shdocpe.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\shdocpl.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\winsb.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSNSA32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\id53.exe (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\apphelp32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\asferror32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\asycfilt32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\athprxy32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ati2dvaa32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ati2dvag32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\audiosrv32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\autodisc32.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\licencia.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\telefonos.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\textos.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdelk.exe (Trojan.Spammer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintems.exe (Trojan.Spammer) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\WtP\Application Data\m\flec006.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\BM6f957a8c.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

pskelley
2008-12-23, 12:17
MBAM removed a lot of the junk:bigthumb: let's see if you can do this now.

Before we try to run combofix again, see if you can now post a HJT log. This self-installer should help, just follow the directions.

Download Trend Micro Hijack This™ to your Desktop
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/hijackthis/HJTInstall.exe
Doubleclick the HJTInstall.exe to start it.
By default it will install HijackThis in the Program Files\Trendmicro folder and create a desktop shortcut.
HijackThis will open after install. Press the Scan button below.
This will start the scan and open a log.
Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

Thanks...Phil

pskelley
2008-12-30, 12:41
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.