PDA

View Full Version : Spybot needed to reboot - now PC won't boot

KenBarlow
2008-12-20, 22:42
Hi,

Sorry if this is a common question, I tried a search but was overwhelmed.

I ran Spybot on a neighbours computer. It removed a lot of stuff, then said it needed to reboot to complete the removal process. Problem is after rebooting Windows will no longer boot properly. I repeatedly get a message saying a parameter to command was wrong. If I Ctrl Alt Del and kill the message then I'm left with a desktop but no icons. I can Ctrl Alt Del again and get a command prompt open, and run Spybot from there, but don't know how to recover a proper booting system.

I'm guessing that Spybot has added a parameter or command to let it run during the boot process and I need to somehow now manually remove this to allow Windows to boot again with no errors.

Thanks.

Leapfrog
2008-12-22, 17:01
Hi,

Sorry if this is a common question, I tried a search but was overwhelmed.

I ran Spybot on a neighbours computer. It removed a lot of stuff, then said it needed to reboot to complete the removal process. Problem is after rebooting Windows will no longer boot properly.

Sounds like the machine is infected with trojans. If you running Windows XP, try to boot into safe mode and choose "Last Known Good Configuration." This will choose the configuration for the computer when it last started properly. Then post in the Malware Removal section to get help removing those nasty buggers. :D