PDA

View Full Version : Spyware protection

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 08:14
I am planning to replace AVG Anti-spyware (updates for it are ending) with either A-squared or Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Anyone know which is best or whether i should use both???

let me know! Thanks:santa:

drummer

Matt
2008-12-24, 09:21
The new a-squared Free 4.x uses now a combined scan-engine (anti-virus & anti-malware). The scan time for a full scan is quite long.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scans your pc faster. It detected a trojan.backdoor on my pc with its heuristic rules where Spybot and Ad-Aware found nothing.

I don't know your pc but if you have the possibility, you can use both. There's no problem to use for example Spybot, Ad-Aware, a-squared and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the same pc. I tried it out. ;)

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 17:32
Between the two of them... which one has the best detection? Do either of them offer real-time protection in the free version?

Thanks

drummer

Matt
2008-12-24, 17:54
Between the two of them... which one has the best detection?

I would say that almost nobody can give you an answer to this question... :funny:

Do either of them offer real-time protection in the free version?

Non of them has a real-time protection. Only SpywareTerminator has a real-time protection, Spybot in a way too. Spybot 2.0 (next year) will bring you a real-time protection as well. ;)

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 18:05
No harm in asking that question :D: I know spybot has real time protection... i tried Spyware Terminator. Didn't really like it because it hogs resources and i don't need all the things that come with it. Just looking for a good malware protection product for FREE.

Well, thanks for all your help. It was greatly appreciated:cool:

Merry Xmas:santa:

drummer

drragostea
2008-12-24, 19:09
coolperson987, do you have AVG Anti-Virus installed on your machine? If so, AVG 8.0 includes both AV and malware protection.

There is no harm in using two anti-malware programs, as long they do not have real-time protection enabled (they will conflict if done so).

There is not really one product with the "best" detection rate, because all products have their strengths in different areas (detecting, heuristics, protection, etc.)

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 19:39
I know about AVG 8.0 Free and that it includes both virus and spyware protection. I'm still using AVG 7.5 Free for now until AVG Technologies forces me to update to AVG 8.0 Free.

I'm looking for another spyware protection program to run alongside AVG 8.0 and i heard that A-Squared and Malwarebytes are really good programs.

Have you used either of these programs? If so, what is your take on them?

drragostea
2008-12-24, 19:43
Personally, both MBAM and a-squared are good anti-spyware choices. However, the choice is up to you to decide because every user's taste and motive varies.

Either one of them makes a great team with AVG.

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 19:55
Thanks for the help. There is one more program i am curious about... do you know anything about Superantispyware?

Does it provide good protection and detection?

drragostea
2008-12-24, 20:14
You can call it very good, just like MBAM and a2. I can't say which one is like the "better" one out of them all because they're all good to me.

coolperson987
2008-12-24, 20:22
Okay. Well i will try A-squared and Malwarebytes... thanks for all the help!

You can now close this thread.

drragostea
2008-12-24, 20:32
I bet they'll serve you well.

There's no need to close this thread since anyone else can add on and contribute :santa:.

Happy Holidays.

Soultrain
2008-12-29, 16:11
I am planning to replace AVG Anti-spyware (updates for it are ending) with either A-squared or Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Anyone know which is best or whether i should use both???

let me know! Thanks:santa:

drummer

Spybot would be a great replacement for it, as it offers real time protection and preventive measures for the 3 main browsers (IE, Firefox and Opera), and it also adds entries to the HOSTS file. No other antispyware tool offers this in their free versions. I don't even think they offer it in their paid versions, as a matter of a fact.

About Malwarebytes, use it only as on-demand scanner, along side SUPERAntispyware Free Edition.

That's what I use. Spybot and those two as on-demand scanners.

That's just my opinion, and keep in mind that no antivirus/antispyware will detect it all.

Also, if you decide to upgrade to AVG 8, it will work just fine with Spybot. :) And you will have 2 great antispyware apps - Ewido and Spybot :)

Hope it helps you out.

Best regards

coolperson987
2008-12-31, 02:37
I have Spybot 1.6 installed and it is a wonderful product!:bigthumb: I have lately heard a lot about Malwarebytes and A-squared that i figured i would give them a shot.

Thanks for letting me know AVG 8.0 Free works well with spybot.

Have a Happy New Year!!:cool: