PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help please? Registry change denied

great46
2005-11-17, 17:23
Hi,

Hope you can help me, I have tried to find this out for myself but I am struggling.

I have Mcafee Security Centre, I keep getting a box appear and I think it is the resident tea timer:confused: which I can not read properly the bottom of the text is abscured but it is something to do with Mcafee and registry changes, when I close this box I get a message on the bottom right hand side saying that a registry change has been denied, I am worried that this is stopping the Mcafee from updating my computer.

What do I need to do? Mcafee seems to be working ok.

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-17, 18:18
There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's pup-up dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the pup-up dialog the registry change will be denied.

The following thread describes how to fix the problem until a new release of Spybot is issued:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

If you can't deal with the problem until it is fixed, you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

great46
2005-11-17, 18:35
Thank you.

;)

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-17, 19:09
There are two changes that McAfee regularly makes to system Registry. They both appear to deal with updates and both are adding entries to system startup. The one that it adds very frequently is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MCUpdateExe"="c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\agent\\mcupdate.exe"
It appears that this entry is re-added often even though it exists.

After updates the following entry is added periodically:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CleanUp"="C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /cleanup"
I believe that this entry is added in case the system is rebooted before the update cleanup is completed so that the update cleanup would occur at system startup.

You should be OK as long as you don't continue to deny those register changes.

ps: I'm really aggravated at McAfee right now. They blew away five (5) files yesterday (Nov. 16th) with their DAT 4629 Prockill-DF Trojan false positive. To make matters worse, they reported that only two (2) of the five (5) detected files had actually been deleted.