PDA

View Full Version : Blocked from Update?!?

CuriousPeoria
2008-12-27, 18:53
Our computer seems have some malware and I can not determine what the problem is - Can anyone help?

I have 3 computers and am having problems with only one of them. It was hit with a constant pop up that told us we had malware and to pay and download security software. This is when our problems started. I started spybot1.5, updated definitions, ran a scan and found several malware files. Corrected those, gave spybot permission to run at next start up, and immediately restarted. After restarting, Spybot offered to update to 1.6 but then couldn't complete because the server responded with a 404.

Now the computer runs much slower, and whenever I try to use IE to get to a Spybot site or Symantec website, the browser is redirected to another site. I can't get the Symantec antivirus to update as it also errors out with a 404 from the server. I have tried going through the list of programs in Task Manager but can't determine which one is the problem.

The other two computers don't have this problem and can update Spybot and Symantec with no problem and can use IE to browse their websites with no problem. We are running XP Professional on all of them.

Thanks for any help!

Shaba
2008-12-29, 11:50
Hello CuriousPeoria

Please see this (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) next

Please follow the instructions in the above thread and then start a fresh topic with the logs required.

Regards.