PDA

View Full Version : new user with a minor query

timmy toad
2008-12-28, 22:26
hi all, i have been using Spy Bot for a while now and slowly discovering how powerful it is.

i am slowly finding out what the various buttons do, so i click on Tools/System Start Up and have cleaned up a bit of rubbish, but i have some items listed that i am not too sure about, please see attatched JPG

can i delete them ?.

tim

PepiMK
2008-12-28, 22:36
Nooooooooo! :D:
(if I have to shout "noooo", I see that as the fault of the developers, us, since we didn't make it clear, so no offense intended there :) )

Those Winlogon items are crucial. They are listed because some malware hides in that region as well, but disablng or removing the wrong winlogon entries can be quite dangerous, leading up to the point where you cant login any more even.

Hint: use FileAlyzer to look into the files listed there, it'll probably show you that they are all belonging to Microsoft, thus are very likely to belong to the core of the OS.

Spybot 2.0 will have a better display of file properties integrated in its implementation of tools, but your question just gave me an idea on how to make this a bit clearer still .

timmy toad
2008-12-28, 23:01
Thanks for that buddy, i shall leave them all alone, no problem, thanks for the advice i really appreciate it buddy. now where can i donate ?

tim

spybotsandra
2008-12-29, 14:24
Hello,

Thank you very much for your offer to make a donation. :)
This link should give you some options:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/donate/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot