PDA

View Full Version : Norton Leaves broken Right click menu command

SlimySlayer
2008-12-29, 02:17
So I uninstalled Nortan 2000 (ancient I know) but it left behind the "Scan for Viruses..." link in the right click menus for files. How do I get rid of this? I have already searched the registry for that string, and searched my computer for it as well (search within files from windows search).

How can I remove this broken menu option?

I am running Windows XP pro SP3.

SlimySlayer
2008-12-29, 02:33
I just read this and it kind of depresses me, there has got to be a way.

Learn to live with it: Every application that customizes the context menu does so in its own way. In some cases you may need to hunt through dialog boxes, scour the application's help file, or scan the vendor's Web site to find out how to remove context-menu entries. In other cases you have to accept that some context menu commands are there to stay. For example, though you can use the Registry editing tip above to remove the 'Scan for Viruses' command added by McAfee VirusScan, I have encountered no way to remove the context-menu commands added by Norton AntiVirus. Your only option in these cases is to live with the extra clutter and to contact the software manufacturer to voice your opinion on this subject.

SlimySlayer
2008-12-29, 02:41
Hey I found something!

This program
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

It lets you change all that stuff, its awesome, highly recommended, and that pesky menu item is gone yay.