PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D (Heuristic)

peterb
2008-12-29, 05:35
Ran AVG, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then Spybot 1.6.0.30 after starting to get popups about Trojans &/or other threats. Eventually found a bunch of files, mostly by A-M, cleaned things up & now no "system warning" or whatever it called itself for the past 6-7 hrs. Unfortunately, a flash-drive was connected & I foolishly used it to transfer a number of files to another machine - which, of course, now has the same problems! Ok, removed flash-drive & formatted (simple) it using 1st machine. Find flash-drive has "system.exe" & "autorun.inf" on it. Tried FileAssissin - still there. Ran Spybot on just the flash-drive & get the following message:
---------------------------------------------------
Spybot S&D (Malware)
[page symbol] system.exe nothing found
[page symbol] autorun.inf nothing found

Spybot S&D (Heuristic)
[page symbol] system.exe nothing found
["X" on red disk] autorun.inf Win32.autoit.p
---------------------------------------------------
followed by "Scan finished" and then "close."

Clicking "close" does just that, Spybot is apparently finished.

Can someone tell me what is going on here?
Thanks
Peter

drragostea
2008-12-29, 05:39
The file could be possibly infected, but you can't be sure if it is. Heuristics only gives a probable guess. You might want to upload the file to VirusTotal and see it flags anything.

peterb
2008-12-30, 05:33
Thanks drragostea - VirusTotal is a site I didn't even know existed! Many detection programs at least found "system.exe" & "autorun.inf" suspicious.
Now if I could just find a way to make those files both go away & stay away ... however that's another issue I guess.

drragostea
2008-12-30, 06:44
Hm, if FileAssasian doesn't work, you might want to consider formatting the flash drive itself. You can format it in My Computer in the right-click menu context.