PDA

View Full Version : About the Spybot 2.0 alpha release...

PepiMK
2008-12-31, 22:42
We're sorry that we weren't able to keep the hinted at deadline of releasing an alpha version late this year.

One reason is that the season into account I have to admit. The past two weeks providing out-or-order updates on Tuesdays with fewer working days between them, we didn't make the database change to have updates for both versions available yet.

A second one is the ongoing improper competition by Kaspersky, McAfee and Trend Micro. We don't want to have our new on-access scanner being misused as an invented argument for forcing uninstallation of our new version as well by those, and enforcing once rights by the law is something that just takes time.

With no idea on how long the second issue will take, we'll probably hurry to get an alpha release out as soon as the weeks are not interrupted by all these holidays any more, with the on-access part excluded or just to a few selected users; all the other new stuff should cause enough reasons for a lot of feedback anyway ;)

A happy new year to everyone! :santa:

warmth
2009-01-01, 01:43
Don't worry my friend... I prefer to see something better but unfinished... take your time... have a nice new year there... :eek:

xpsunny
2009-01-01, 07:31
Happy new Year! :santa:

It has been quite a long time since Spybot lab is facing tussles with the payware AVs. I don't think it will come to an end unless you to take a legal action against them. You should not compromise Spybot v2 features (on demand and real time) just because they will result more incompetent behavior from those "deep pockets"....:snorkle:

You must have studied in high school about Newton's third law of motion. "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.".....hence, if the "deep pockets" forces the user to uninstall spybot, you guys do the same thing and notify the users to remove the respective AV prior installation of Spybot.

TwistedMike
2009-01-01, 23:39
well you don't want to fight fire with fire because in the end you will only get burned.

Soultrain
2009-01-10, 22:44
I'm dieing to try it out. :D But, rather later and better, than sooner and not that great. :)

PepiMK
2009-01-11, 12:33
We made the database update after last Wednesdays updates, and now should be able to create both without additional effort.

Also received some comments from a few people we had testing it locally here, mostly spelling mistaken etc., which'll be fixed asap.

As for the AVs, this (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=371) is one thing probably going into the uninstaller; and this one (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=372) is more designed to work against malware... well, in this case those AVs are malware...

Comments on the later feature request would be welcome, since it's going deeper into the system than most apps do.

PepiMK
2009-01-15, 21:28
About one thing on the list left now :)

PiCoPi
2009-01-29, 16:57
Excuse my asking.

Can I find Spybot v2.0 alpha anywhere to test it?

spybotsandra
2009-01-29, 17:23
Hello,

Not yet.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

djpailo
2009-01-30, 18:34
I hope spybot 2 will be just as good as spybot 1, hopefully better.

How long do you plan to improve sypbot?

PepiMK
2009-01-30, 21:02
As long as possible? ;)
Fighting malware isn't something were you can stop ;)

I've passed another installer to a few friends (offline :laugh:) this evening to get some feedback :)

PiCoPi
2009-01-31, 04:32
I thought I had seen some screenshots of v2.0 somewhere, WildersSecurity forums maybe.

Are there any on this site?

drragostea
2009-01-31, 05:17
PiCoPi:
http://forums.spybot.info/album.php?u=1
-

PiCoPi
2009-02-01, 04:28
PiCoPi:
http://forums.spybot.info/album.php?u=1
-Thanx drragostea!!

djpailo
2009-02-08, 18:47
Will the beta work with Windows 7?

hanschke
2009-02-10, 20:46
i hope so and cannot wait to test :D:

spybotsandra
2009-02-11, 10:21
Hello,

It should. Windows 7 is coming somewhere along the road and we have already done some tests with Spybot - Search & Destroy on Windows 7.

Please have a look at this link in our forum (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=373#note1467).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

hanschke
2009-02-12, 20:50
why they tell it work fine. i cannot update it with uac and x64.

PepiMK
2009-02-13, 10:18
and i cannot understand.

:D:

Hint: "it does not work" is not a useful error description. See this (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=10) ;)

And anyway... who comes that you cannot update 2.0 when you're not among the few dozen people already testing it? Is there a copy already leaked somewhere? o.O

hanschke
2009-02-18, 22:26
i cannot give better error message cause there is no one. open spybot. try to update the sig and the window popup and close directly without updating the sig.

win 7 beta 1 is a public beta. no leak but you are to late cause there was only to download it within 30 days i think.

PepiMK
2009-02-19, 11:31
I was not speaking about error messages, but error descriptions. If you drive your car to the garage telling them "its broken, make it work" and you forget to tell them that only at 200 km/h there are some noises, chance are that no one will understand you.

That's why I linked to a blog entry that describes how to report problems. Your steps to reproduce were a bit clearer, but they still don't say anything out of the order. For example, right after installing it, there are no newer updates, and depending on which update button inside Spybot you click, it is to be expected that the window closes, with a message that there are no updates. That's not specific to Windows 7. A more useful report would have stated that you installed N days earlier, and that since then, the website lists an update, but you could not get that update, for example.

And why are we too late? We have tested with the public beta 1 and we have access to non-public releases.

tomdkat
2009-02-19, 17:04
I have a question about Spybot 2.0. Will it be installable in Safe Mode? Sometimes, I run into problems installing anti-spyware apps when the system is booted in normal mode so I try to install in safe mode and then scan in safe mode.

Spybot 1.6.0 I've been able to install and run in safe mode just fine. Will Spybot 2.0 be able to do the same?

Thanks!

Peace...

djpailo
2009-02-19, 20:53
I'd be amazed if you were unable to run it in safe mode. It's sad, but I'm checking this thread frequently because I can't wait for spybot v2! :):red::red::red:

PepiMK
2009-02-20, 09:34
Well, it includes some system services, and services are not always designed for safe mode... but since we intend to still work on 9x were no system services are possible at all, everything that could conflict would have a non-service fallback anyway :)

Matt
2009-02-20, 20:17
@PepiMK: ;)

Did you already decided what kind of "real-time protection" Spybot 2.0 will get?

What do you mean with "different from the TeaTimer" ? :) :scratch:

Can you describe it a little bit since you only wrote:

Yes Matt, seems I missed listing that. Indeed TeaTimer will be obsolete and replaced with something new that's real-time instead of near-time
here (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=28) ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

djpailo
2009-02-22, 20:05
If memory serves correct, wasn't there briefly a beta page on the spybot website?