PDA

View Full Version : Spyware not found by SpyBot?

Dodge Swinger
2008-12-31, 23:55
During a scheduled AVG scan it found "potentially dangerous" spyware, but couldn't remove (something about archive size). Spyware should be SpyBots forte' so I did full SpyBot scan. Result: Congragulations, 0 threats!
Could this have been a false find or something SpyBot can't detect. 3 of these 'spywares were found by avg, they are the same up 'till .msi.
Following is one example: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{21d7d692-
4662-421f-93b0-877bc3820711}\rp486\a0113868.msi";"potentially harmful
program WinFixer.AYN";"potentially dangerous object"
Do I have a problem??

ght1
2009-01-01, 11:21
The files are in the system recovery directory? You should disable the system recovery - boot the machine - enable the system recovery :bigthumb:

Why? Because files can't be deleted in this directory manually ...

drragostea
2009-01-02, 20:08
The System Restore directory is one of the places malware could be lurking because in case you should restore to one of the time periods where the malware infected the restore point, it just means the malware is active again after you reboot.

In your case, like carat said, it would be a good idea to purge the restore points and re-enable them again.

No AS (anti-spyware) is perfect and no one detects all malware. Basically, you can't really ask for too much.

Er... I don't recall Spybot scanning the System Restore directory...(correct me if I'm wrong) So you can't blame Spybot for that.