PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance

SonnyThomas
2009-01-01, 01:26
Hope I'm in the right place. It's been a while and I'm lost.

Anyway, my wife bought me a new puter, a Emachine with Vista(and the feeling of junk surrounds me.) Battling this thing from the get go, I finally got SpyBot 1.6 loaded. Now, with gettng updates everytime I have to designate a site to get them. Before, with our HP Compaq, I just clicked on Updates and got out of the way. So why having to designate a site (Safer Networking)? Is there a way to just click and forget?

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-01, 04:17
I don't know if there is a way to set and forget, but I enjoy having a choice. Sometimes one server isn't giving out good updates, i.e. there's corruption of some sort, and it is vital that we can change download locations. But really, how much more trouble is it to select the one you want? It isn't anymore time-consuming than a couple of seconds, is it? :)

SonnyThomas
2009-01-01, 15:34
I'm trying to get this Emachine more user friendly. I wish my wife never bought the thing. We had a HP Compaq Presario with Windows XP. This Emachine with Vista Home (2 months old) really aggrevates me to death. I'm thinking of making it a yard ornament.

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-01, 16:08
Computers are like technological jigsaw puzzles, and sometimes you just don't feel like working on a puzzle! If it is causing you too much stress, the yard ornament idea might be best (except for your neighbors!). ;)

drragostea
2009-01-02, 20:14
It could be possible that older versions of Spybot (like 1.3-1.4.x) used only one server specifically... I can't be sure because I have not used them before, and those versions are not being supported anymore.

That guess might explain the "click and forget" (just download updates with no prompts to which update mirror).

In my perspective, there isn't really anything wrong with Vista (of course there may be some incompatibilities with older programs). It is just (to me) the brand of machine that you purchase (ex. Acer, HP, Sony VAIO, and eMachines, etc.) that installs the unnecessary software. Like Sony Vaio may install this music program that you don't want (SonicStage for example).

It can be a good idea to have two Operating Systems in your home, because if one should fail, you can always have the other to use.

It is up to you to decide if you should make it a yard decoration or save it for later :laugh:.

SonnyThomas
2009-01-09, 14:53
If you only knew the problems I have with this Emachine you would wonder why I haven't already made it a yard ornament.

Drive wasn't turned on to read discs and loses Explorer page every time you turn around. Disconnects from Server on it's ownl but just when writing letters. Always comes up with "Do you want to continue Saved game?" and I haven't saved any game and if you continue game it will come up again the next time you want to play. It has a screen for reducing pictures, email or website size, but I can't find it and Emachine support doesn't know where it is either. I found it by accident and even reduced a couple pics for Photobucket. Emachine constantly says my serial number is wrong. And I just this morning emailed Emachine with my ???? 15th reply.

But, thanks to all now and in the past that have helped me.

drragostea
2009-01-10, 01:23
Support for eMachines:
http://www.emachines.com/support/
http://www.emachines.com/support/options.html