PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for something very basic.

star.aether
2009-01-01, 02:02
I've been using Spybot S&D since longer than I can remember. It's really excellent software, and I'm genuinely impressed that it's offered free to the public. Everybody I know also uses it, too!

But there's something that puzzles me and that I cannot REALLY answer well. I get asked about this often, and I'd appreciate hearing how others answer it.

As with all of my security programs, I run similar programs. Basic redundancy.

In the case of Spybot S&D, the twin program in AdAware.

Both Spybot and AdAware check for something like 350,000 bots (and maybe others, too). I run them both each week on each computer.

Spybot needs about an hour and runs my computer in excess of 50% of its CPU capacity. AdAware runs in about 20 minutes and never runs the CPU up over 20 or 25%. Originally, I just assumed that Spybot was covering a lot more ground, but I always select the most thorough, comprehensive scan options for these programs.

Frankly, I cannot figure out why Spybot runs so long and hot. I usually suggest that it must be searching more thoroughly, but, frankly, that's just spin. The correct answer here is that I don't know.

[As for search results, I don't think either Spybot or AdAware has found anything on my personal machine other than the MRIs generated by my own software. On other machines that I've been asked to review, Spybot and AdAware have earned their keep equally. Oddly, they *never* both find the same bot.]

Thanks for your time with this.

And, about the original suggestion I mentioned, . . . I'd suggest that the folks at Spybot include a bit of the explanation as to what-all is going on that demands the high relative computer usage.

ChalupaPatrol
2009-01-01, 04:10
Maybe setting your scan priority to Highest will make a difference. I emphasize maybe. I'm not even sure what the default setting is... just that I have the priority set on Highest and my scans are faster and use a lot less resources. Check it out --> Advanced Mode\Settings\Scan priority.

Good luck and Happy New Year

star.aether
2009-01-02, 06:53
Sure, setting the priority up gets the job done faster when Spybot is competing with other programs for CPU time, but that's not really a problem.

I don't mind all that much that Spybot takes so long to do its job. I just wonder WHY Spybot needs so long.

I'm GUESSING that somebody's going to tell me that Spybot is doing a whole lot more checking than AdAware, and so, naturally, Spybot will need more time. I'm quite ready to hear that Spybot needs the time for a reason or reasons that will make me glad that Spybot runs so long.

But I'm curious as what the heck is going on. And I think others would genuinely appreciate seeing this info included with the next edition (in very brief form).

Thanks,

Andy

drragostea
2009-01-02, 08:13
This is will be very brief.

The Scan Priority should be set to Normal as default when Spybot is installed.

I just need a few things. What version of Spybot are you running? Older versions of Spybot can sometimes longer during a scan, because it is just simply dated.

There are other variables such as system resources and what other programs and services are running that may be could be responsible for the scanning time (other programs/services may take a share in the systems resources, so the scanning time for Spybot may vary). But we should stick with the first guess first.

Thanks.

PepiMK
2009-01-02, 12:36
As for the number of detected things, that quite difficult to count and compare really, see my explanation here. The fingerprint count (above a million) might be nearer to the actual number of things detected, but still not absolute. Comparing counts is far from easy comparing of numbers ;)

As to the methods it uses, I've recently blogged (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=34) about the various scan methods and their advantages and disadvantages. The break-even point in performance between the to models is influenced by the number of files on an actual system as well.

2.0 will be a bit faster again, right now its something like 40%.

Speed is a constant struggle ;)

Matt
2009-01-04, 10:05
Spybot needs about an hour and runs my computer in excess of 50% of its CPU capacity. AdAware runs in about 20 minutes and never runs the CPU up over 20 or 25%. Originally, I just assumed that Spybot was covering a lot more ground, but I always select the most thorough, comprehensive scan options for these programs.

Frankly, I cannot figure out why Spybot runs so long and hot. I usually suggest that it must be searching more thoroughly, but, frankly, that's just spin. The correct answer here is that I don't know.

Adware:
- scans all files on your hard disk

The scan speed of AdAware is limited by (among other things)
1) all the files on your pc
2) your operating system
3) your cpu and ram

Spybot:
- scans for Spyware on special locations on your hard disk

The scan speed of Spybot is limited by (among other things)
2) your operating system
3) your cpu and ram

I guess that you don't have much files on your pc. Moreover, I guess that you don't have a "good" cpu, whatever "good" here means... :) Theese things could be a good reason why Spybot takes so much longer than Ad-Aware. ;)

Scan time in my case (Windows XP SP3, Dual Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM):
Spybot: 13 minutes 40 seconds, 35% cpu capacity
Ad-Aware: 35 Minutes 56 seconds, 28% cpu capacity

For faster scanning and lower cpu capacity, please make sure, that you de-activate your anti-virus guard before scanning. ;)

Perhaps this information can help you. ;)

Matt
2009-01-04, 10:09
2.0 will be a bit faster again, right now its something like 40%.

40% sounds very good to me. It would be interesting which operating system/cpu/ram you use. Otherwise, it's hard to compare with other systems. ;)
For example:
On Vista with 4 GB of Ram and 4 x 3,0 GHz the scan time could be 40% faster. But on Windows 2000, 512MB of Ram and 1 x 2,0 GHz... I don't think that the scan time can be reduced by 40% there. Or do you test your 2.0 preAlpha with all operating systems ?? ;) :)

star.aether
2009-01-04, 19:14
Thanks for your reply.

I'm running Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20.

If there's anything significant about my using this version, I'd appreciate knowing that. But I'm guessing that this is pretty much up-to-date, as I always let Spybot download/update whatever it likes.

But my guess is that the issues in the replies that came after yours are where the answers are found.

Best regards,

Andy

star.aether
2009-01-04, 19:39
Thank you for the links to your earlier postings.

I read through those quickly, and what I'm hearing--speaking very broadly--is that I really can't be sure that I'm comparing apples to apples when I talk about how Spybot and AdAware both check the same number of items. I'm not surprised.

I'm also hearing that, regardless of what any other program may be doing, Spybot is definitely needing all of its minutes to examine my computer.

Now, let me try to clarify a couple of things, just a little.

I do NOT object to however long Spybot runs.

I just work around it. It's not a problem that the smallest bit of planning won't solve completely.

And, since Spybot is using all of those minutes to help me, well, Spybot can run half the night, for all I care. (I only run Spybot once every week or two.)

My original posting was simply my curiosity about *why* Spybot ran so much longer than AdAware. Now, I understand that I don't really have any basis to assume that the 2 programs might run for about the same length of time.

And, just so you'll know, I think I appreciate why your Marketing folks might be antsy about the time needed to run Spybot. But I can't help but think that a huge majority of Spybot's users would be perfectly fine with the longer run times if you added even the briefest reference suggesting that the time is well-invested.

It might work just to add something like, "Spybot: The one that takes the time to do it right--to check every last thing."

Basically, I think we just want a bit of reassurance that the run time is well-spent and not the result of inefficient coding.

My best regards to all of the folks at Spybot S&D.

Andy

drragostea
2009-01-04, 19:46
Hello again star.

Well, I've identified the problem. You see, dated versions of Spybot tend to run longer during scans... The latest version is Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 not 1.5.x.

Upgrading to the latest version (download it below), should resolve the slow scanning time:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-
Just be sure to uninstall Spybot 1.5.2.20, reboot, and execute the installer for 1.6.0.

Keep us posted.

star.aether
2009-01-04, 20:05
Thanks for your reply, Matt. I found your numbers interesting.

I do not have 2 chips working, but I do have a very good Pentium 4 chip with full hyperthreading that allows a single physical CPU to function as 2 logical processors. (This does not work in every application, but I would guess that the sort of checking done by Spybot would be easily done doubled-up with hyperthreading.)

I suppose the real question here is whether Spybot has been optimized to take advantage of hyperthreading. I would think so, if only because the folks at Spybot are so acutely aware of the run time issues.

In the other specs you listed, my machine was the match of yours.

I AM really surprised that you can run Spybot so quickly!

As for how much material I have saved on my computer, . . . I just checked, and I've got almost a Terabyte of data on 4 drives. A lot of that is visual data, so I check the file count. Right now, I have over 135,000 files on hand. (And I thought I was so good about getting rid of all the old stuff!)

Do you think maybe it takes me longer to run Spybot because I've got all of those files? (I know you mentioned that Spybot checks certain things and not others, but I really don't know anything about that.)

Thank you for your interest here,

Andy

drragostea
2009-01-04, 20:20
star (Andy),

It's kind of logical and it [sorta] applies to Spybot too. More files>Longer Scanning (not always the case; because Spybot does not perform single file scanning during a scan like other anti-spyware programs).

It is not unusual for v.1.5.2.20 (updated) to take a longer scanning, all because it is dated and it's technology is not as new as v.1.6.0.30.

I have roughly 40GB (gotten from the results of my avast! AV scan) of files on my machine, running P4 3.0Ghz and 512MB and it takes around a good 12-19 minutes for a full scan.

I'm pretty sure updating to 1.6.0 will improve your results.

Matt
2009-01-04, 22:37
Thanks for your reply, Matt. I found your numbers interesting.

I'm glad to hear that. :)

I suppose the real question here is whether Spybot has been optimized to take advantage of hyperthreading. I would think so, if only because the folks at Spybot are so acutely aware of the run time issues.

Spybot supports dual- or quadcore for sure and I think it also supports HT-technology as well. ;)

As for how much material I have saved on my computer, . . . I just checked, and I've got almost a Terabyte of data on 4 drives. A lot of that is visual data, so I check the file count. Right now, I have over 135,000 files on hand. (And I thought I was so good about getting rid of all the old stuff!)

Do you think maybe it takes me longer to run Spybot because I've got all of those files? (I know you mentioned that Spybot checks certain things and not others, but I really don't know anything about that.)

I'm very surprised that Ad-Aware doesn't need more time for a full scan... a Terybyte sounds much to me. Is there the possibility that you did only a quick scan with Ad-Aware? While Ad-Aware needs to scan "through" your terabyte of files, Spybot only scans your pc on special locations. I don't think that your Terabyte of files is the reason for your long scan time with Sypbot.

Moreover, I agree with drragostea. You should uninstall Spybot 1.5.2, reboot and install the new 1.6.0 version. This version brings you a scan-time-decrease and a better protection against Malware.

With Spybot 1.5.2 it took about 25 or 30 minutes to scan my pc (in June 2008). Now with Spybot 1.6.0 (which has much more malware definitions in it), it only takes about 13 or 14 minutes (January 2009). ;)

Furthermore, PepiMK will release version 1.6.1 in the next weeks. The future Spybot 2.0 (pre-Alpha status at this time; will be released later this year I think) will bring you another big scan time decrease (PepiMK said something about 40%). So, upgrade your Spybot to 1.6.0 :) ;) You should have the best protection against Malware that you can get for free. ;)

Thank you for your interest here,
Andy

Like drragostea, I only want to help you. ;) :greeting:

star.aether
2009-01-05, 06:42
You were right, and in a really big way.

I updated from 1.5.2.20 to 1.6.0.30.

And, yeow, what an amazing difference! The run time fell from something like an hour (the better part of an hour, anyway) to under 10 minutes.

I don't actually know how much under 10 minutes, though. I wrote down the time Spybot started, settled in with something else, and then noticed that Spybot was done before 10 minutes had passed. Sorry I wasn't watching more closely. (But it was kind of sneaky, too!)

Thanks for your advice to get the update. I was surprised, though, that I even needed the update, as I thought I'd kept Spybot up-to-date. My mistake.

I'm trying out Spybot's Immunization now, too--something new for me. My browser has crashed once since then, but I had so many different things downloading and so many different programs running that I wasn't surprised. (It doesn't even take me more than a minute anymore to recover from a crash; it's not like old Blue Walls of Death we got from Microsoft.)

Best regards,

Andy

drragostea
2009-01-06, 02:12
Glad to hear that.

Spybot-SD 1.6.0 should give you a faster scanning time and better protection now.

It could be possible that your browsers crashed due to simultaneous downloading or memory intensive applications, say like a HD trailer. It doesn't really have be Immunization, because it just adds entries to your browser's blacklist, giving you passive protection.