PDA

View Full Version : Searching inside a zip file

BarbieQ
2009-01-05, 02:05
I have looked everywhere and cannot find this info :sad:

AVG tells me that I have spyware inside a zip file, yet when I ran Spybot S&D, it did not find this spyware "Adware Generic3.DCV"; hence my question, does Spybot not search inside zip files ? Thanks in advance

Barb

drragostea
2009-01-05, 03:18
Scan inside archives? Well, did AVG remove it?

What version of Spybot-Search&Destroy are you running?
Have you tried using the Windows Explorer Spybot scanner (Spybot 1.6.x) to scan the file (just that you can locate the file first)?

BarbieQ
2009-01-05, 16:21
Thanks for your reply drragostea....no, AVG did not remove it, telling me it is too big for the virus vault.

I am using the updated Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30 and I'm sorry, I do not understand what you mean by "windows explorer spybot scanner" :sad:. I do not see how i can scan an individual folder with spybot.

And yes what I wanted to know is, does spybot search inside a zip or a rar file ?

Thanks again for your time.

Barb

Matt
2009-01-05, 17:29
Hi BarbieQ,

perhaps I can help you too a bit ;)

I am using the updated Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30 and I'm sorry, I do not understand what you mean by "windows explorer spybot scanner" :sad:. I do not see how i can scan an individual folder with spybot.

The "Windows Explorer Spybot Scanner" is an extension. It's very simple to give proof wheather you've installed it with version 1.6.0:
- right-click on a desktop-icon
- now you can see options like copy, paste, etc....
- can you see there a option called "scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy?

That is, what drragostea means. If you don't have this extension, you could for example download Spybot 1.6.0 and install it.
Follow the install descriptions until you can select some extensions (skins, different languages). There you can select this extension (I think it's the last one).

Now, after installation, update & immunization, you can go to the folder where AVG said and scan it with Spybot.

And yes what I wanted to know is, does spybot search inside a zip or a rar file ?

Spybot don't search through your hole hard disk like other tools as AntiVir, Ad-Aware or AVG.
Spybot scans special locations on your Pc where its defintion rules say that there could be Malware. It seems to me that "Adware Generic3.DCV" can't be detected by Spybot until now.

You can send an email to Team Spybot so they can add this Malware to Spybot's database, look here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1699

Therefore, feel free to add informations from AVG which are neccessary.

You can also open a thread here, if you want Spybot to detect this Adware in the future:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Feel free to answer, if you have questions. :)

Where does AVG exactly find this Malware? Can you tell us the path? There's also the possibility that it's a false positive. ;)

Matt
2009-01-06, 12:18
You can also open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum if you like:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22 :)