PDA

View Full Version : Recovery not Recovering

Randal
2009-01-07, 18:39
I downloaded, installed and ran Spybot two days ago. It detected Wild Tangent items (wt/gutil) It fixed them all but needed to do a scan upon reboot to remove one of the four items. They were all in the Windows folder and one was an executable Jar. I am now wondering if it was a good idea to delet "fix" these items. I went and clicked on "Recover" but the window has no items listed in it, thus I cannot recover that which is not listed in the window. When I go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ I see four Wild Tangent Zipped Folders, but still none of this appears in Recovery. I have Tea Timer off and did download the additional tools program but still cannot find how to restore these Wild Tangent items back into the Windows Folder as they do not appear in the Spybot Recovery. Can anyone assist?
Randal

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-08, 06:19
Randal:

Recovery files are normally located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
I don't know why yours were created in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" directory.

Assumming you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP, you attempt to move the files from the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" directory to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery" directory and see if Spybot's Recovery facility recognizes them.

Note: The recovery files themselves are stored in password protected zipped folders within the Recovery directory. If you need the password it is "recovery".

Randal
2009-01-08, 13:30
I thank you for your reply and assistance. By mistake I omitted the "Rovery" folder in the Folder Destination where the removed items were placed. The removed items are in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery" as you indicated, but the problem is that Spybot Recovery is not listing them in the Recovery Window, thus I do not know how to restore them if needed.
Randal

spybotsandra
2009-01-08, 15:39
Hello,

It should solve the problem if you delete the overview.ini in the same folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Randal
2009-01-08, 17:34
I do thank you for your quick and informative reply, however I still do not have anything listed in the Recovery Window. I start Spybot. On the left I click Recovery, and on the right the Recovery Window appears. It has "Restore Selected Items", "Purge Selected Items" and "Help" buttons at the top. It has Backup and Date and below them is nothing. I did delete (send to the Recycle bin) the "overview" view file which was in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery folder, and was beside the four Zipped "Wild Tangent" folders. I then started Spybot and clicked on "Recovery" and still nothing listed to recover. I even tried it in both default and advanced mode. I have no idea what to do if I need to restore these items should I find in the future that I need them. Thanks for your assistance.
Randal

Randal
2009-01-08, 18:06
P.S. I just discovered that everytime I run Spybot and click Recover another Overview file is generated in the Recovery Folder. All of them, including the original one which I deleted at your direction have 0 bytes and when opened in notepad show nothing.
Randal

Randal
2009-01-08, 19:18
Is it possible that the problem is that Spybot cannot see these files in the Recovery Zipped Folders, and that the folders need to be unzipped and the contents out in the open in the Recovery Folder?
Randal

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-08, 20:05
Randal:

The Overview.ini contains a summary of the recovery files (zipped folders). Apparently Spybot is not seeing the files either to properly recreate the Overview.ini file or to populate the Recover screen. However, Spybot normally works with the recovery files (zipped folders) as they were created and I do not suggest that you extract them.

Randal
2009-01-09, 01:01
I thank you for your reply. What you are saying then is that there is no way to restore these files if necessary?
Randal

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-09, 13:15
Randal:

I'm not say that. I was hopping spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5) would respond with another suggestion.

The only thing that I can think of is that it is some kind of permissions problem. But that is illogical because if Spybot created the files it should be able to read them.

Randal
2009-01-09, 22:29
I thank you for your assistance, I will continue to check this thread. I must say however that I am not very impressed with Spybot as a result of this. Spybot was recommended to me from a friend who said that it was far superior to Adaware. I downloaded and installed Spybot, ran my first scan, trusted the program and allowed it to "fix" the Wild Tangent items believing that it would give me an option to restore if necessary. I would never be able to allow Spybot to "fix" (remove) any item now as I cannot believe that it is able to restore them. The other thing I wonder about is this, when users post for help with malware issues the volunteers always require the user to download and install yet another program (HJT), have that program run a scan and post the log for evaluation. If Spybot is superior to the other malware programs why do the volunteers not ask for the Spybot log?
Anyway I thank you for your assistance and kindness.

drragostea
2009-01-12, 23:53
Remember that HiJack This is not a scanning or a malware tool but simply a diagnostic tool. Spybot-Search&Destroy report logs and HJT analysis logs are two different things.

Besides, think about it. What harm will running a simple scan with HJT do?

Randal
2009-01-15, 13:48
Thanks for the information. As you have probably noticed I am a little confused about all of this. Until I installed Spybot I ran Adaware for several years. My experience with Adaware did not prepare me for the differences in Spybot. I'll catch on soon I hope.