PDA

View Full Version : Scans produce nothing

frenchie4303
2009-01-09, 13:51
I'm a long-time user of Spybot and on my old computer, I always had items to fix on every scan. I've had this computer for over a year, and every scan produces nothing--not one item. I have version 1.6.3.25. Teatimer works since it periodically pops up. Is my computer just "squeaky clean" or am I doing somthing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-09, 15:01
frenchie4303:

Finding nothing is good. It could mean that you're doing something right.

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows the following:
"Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count.
yyyyy = Total check count.
zzzzz = Malware check being performed.
After the 2009-01-07 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
Without Usage tracks - 364203
With Usage tracks – 366894
If those counts don't match yours, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except for optionally the last two items which are for usage tracking. To do that easily, right click on the file sets list and select "Spyware check only".

_____

If you would to test Spybot and see if it picks up tracking cookies, access this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=237138#post237138). There is a file attached to that post (cookies.txt) which contains some tracking cookies (they are not actual tracking cookies, I just simulated some):
Download the cookies.txt file to a known location.
Go into Internet Explorer » File (menu) » select Import and Export.
In the Import/Export Wizard click Next » select Import Cookies » navigate (browse) to the file you just downloaded » click Next » click Finish.
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.