PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer - a reinfection, and using TT

hemingray
2009-01-10, 19:44
Hello all,

My question is about TeaTimer. Long story short, I'm fresh out of the Malware removal forum having had help to remove Vundo and friends. Since using Windows, I've only ever had 2 virus detections and this spyware detection. I was lulled into a false sense of security with Norton Internet Security which totally missed this (save detecting one trojan component among many). Foolish me for thinking it was capable of things that Spybot could do - I thought I would not need these tools!

Once cleaned (to the satisfaction of my helper here), I re-enabled TeaTimer. Immediately it asked for permission to delete some things and I thought this was Spybot asking for things to do with re-enabling protection. I started to get nervous because some were not evident as Spybot items, but neither did they seem to have suspicious names.

On running a scan, Spybot identified several Virtumonde trojan infections in - guess where? - the registry. Nothing had shown up in the browser yet, so I hoped by immediately fixing these with Spybot it would remove the entried before anything else got started. I let Spybot fix the problems, quit Spybot and ran an MBAM scan. It was clean. I rebooted (offline from the internet of course!) and rescanned using both Spybot and MBAM and it's still clean.

My question is about what was going on here. What was waiting to get into the registry again as soon as I enabled TeaTimer? And TeaTimer is confusing in this regard as it's not clear what you are allowing or denying. A rule of thumb seems to be if you are installing something you know you are, you can expect to get some hits with TeaTimer. So I thought, since all I was doing was enabling TeaTimer. In this case, something malicious was waiting - but the tools and scanners seemed to say things were clean.

One thing - some people, including me, are asked to run a script that removes some TeaTimer files - it failed when I ran it. I noted this during the cleanup help, but didn't get any comments on that. Are there things "queued" - changes to the registry maybe - by TeaTimer that may have been run when I renabled it?

I like to understand the system internals and have learned a lot in this experience, but I'm concerned with TeaTimer's lack of explanation (at allow/deny time) - and what is/was still there that would suddenly cause a trojan to appear again. I have also immunized since then - which I had not done during the removal process, not wanting to complicate that.

Would anyone like to comment on this specific aspect of TeaTimer?

Thanks!!

drragostea
2009-01-10, 20:02
What Spybot-Search&Destroy could have detected were the traces of Virtumonde in the registry, when the threat itself was cleaned. So all remains are the traces (you might as well fix them). If MBAM, and Spybot find nothing, then that's good.

Once cleaned (to the satisfaction of my helper here), I re-enabled TeaTimer. Immediately it asked for permission to delete some things and I thought this was Spybot asking for things to do with re-enabling protection.
Permission of what? Can you post the log entry? Is it telling you that something, like a registry value or a BHO has been deleted? In this case it is normal, because all the malicious startup entries (take the startup entries for example) created by Virtumonde was successfully removed.

One thing - some people, including me, are asked to run a script that removes some TeaTimer files - it failed when I ran it.
What scripts? The "small fix" .reg file?

Yes, the rule of thumb is just a suggestion. However, there is not really one perfect, simple rule. Sometimes, it'll take user knowledge and decision whether to Allow the change or not.

My suggestion is you is that if you are not so familiar with this tool (TeaTimer), you can disable anytime. A change would be the same if you had Allowed it with TeaTimer active and if TeaTimer was disabled.

hemingray
2009-01-11, 23:07
There's nothing like a few red entries in Spybot when you think things are cleaned to get the adrenaline going! I think that's probably what it was - I'm still learning the process of infection and cleaning.

By permission, I just meant the Allow/Deny choices of TeaTimer. I think what I needed to learn in this case was to slow down and think about what is being asked.

The script is that which is sometimes posted by the helper for use after disabling TeaTimer. I'm not sure what it does, but I think I may have used a different text editor (I was using a different machine at that point since the infected one was offline) and probably messed up the script.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation - I'm going to keep TeaTimer running for now and take the time to understand what's being asked. At this point, the machine seems to be running fine and I've got some decent protection on it now.

Best,
Dave

drragostea
2009-01-12, 03:35
Your welcome.

And about the permissions, part... when you have cleared Virtumonde from your system you might receive prompts about a few registry changes, that might be a Startup value or a BHO. In this case, it could be best to Allow all the deletions because it simply means that Virtumonde was successfully removed.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-12, 06:25
hemingray:

In the posting instructions for the Malware Removal (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum:
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
The following instruction should have prevented TeaTimer from reinfecting your system as you stated it did:

Not for use in Vista.
Download ResetTeaTimer.bat to the Desktop
http://downloads.subratam.org/ResetTeaTimer.bat
Double click ResetTeaTimer.bat to remove all entries set by TeaTimer (and preventing TeaTimer to restore them upon reactivation).

hemingray
2009-01-14, 15:34
Right - that's the script that ran with an error (but it scrolled too fast to see what the issue was). What I was after here, and I think I got my answer, is that it was sort of a leftover. The system continues to be clean via various scans, so I'm beginning to trust it again. :-)

THanks for the help - I'm always interested to learn how things work so I don't have to ask the same questions again! ;-) I think I understand the process and more about TeaTimer.

Regards,

Dave