PDA

View Full Version : Install problem?

ScifiSusie
2009-01-11, 20:35
This is my first time posting, so I hope I've posted in the correct place. Please forgive me if not....

My sister has a Vista Home Addition.
I installed Spybot on her computer when she first got it. It had been running fine. A couple weeks ago, she said a window popped up (?-not quite sure why and from where) and said she needed to download a new version. Well, she ok'd it and it installed a spybotsd160 onto her desktop. This program is large and I have no clue on why it would want to download on the desktop. The old version is still showing up in the add/remove program. But this new version is not showing up anywhere, except when I look it up in the search option. I can find no way to remove it. Since it installed, her computer is running very slow. I do not know if this update was good or if she installed something she shouldn't have. I have not tried to run it for that reason. Anyway, I wanted to just uninstall all of them and then reinstall the one I know is good, but I don't know how to uninstall that new version she installed.

Would it be safe to just pull that new version up on the search option again and right click it and then delete it? I don't know what to do...
I hope I gave you enough information to help me.

Oh, I did try to do a restore to remove the program, but it did not remove.

Thank you so much,
Susie

drragostea
2009-01-11, 20:39
I really don't think Spybot could be the cause of your "slow" computer.

What version of Spybot-Search&Destroy are you running right now (Help>About)?

I'm assuming the new version is not showing up because you did not install it yet. And the only reason Spybot wants to upgrade is because there is a newer version.

ScifiSusie
2009-01-11, 21:20
I'll have to get back with you, hopefully tomarrow,on your question of what version was originally installed. I don't remember and it's my sisters computer and I've left there and am at home now.
Thank you for your quick response.