PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft media player. protection.

Tommie
2006-05-12, 16:27
It might be nice if some sort of protection could be bundled into bicrosoft media player.

I have noticed an increased number of attacks trying to sneak their way in by forcing you to install spyware, in order to recive an licence to view an file.

{Lets try and make that an bit more clear}
I download an video online, anything from my favroute tv program, to a dvd that iv'e scratched and cant polish out the scratches out of.

The video might be using the microosft content protection licence system (DRM).

The video then either downloads, or try's to make you download the offending software, and if your luckey an licence to let you view the origonal content as well- but sometimes not.

Is their anyway spybot could be used to detect this? In any new beta version?

tashi
2006-05-12, 18:14
It might be nice if some sort of protection could be bundled into bicrosoft media player. Microsoft would be the one to do that for their own program; they provide security patches/updates.

I have noticed an increased number of attacks trying to sneak their way in by forcing you to install spyware, in order to recive an licence to view an file.
{Lets try and make that an bit more clear}
I download an video online, anything from my favroute tv program, to a dvd that iv'e scratched and cant polish out the scratches out of. :scratch: Installing known spyware or asking you to agree to the EULA? Are you using P2P to download programs?

The video might be using the microosft content protection licence system (DRM).
Using Windows Media Encoder to Protect Content
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/ProtectContent.aspx

Introduction

Windows Media Encoder 9 Series enables content owners to protect digital media content during the content creation process. In other words, when you use Windows Media Encoder to encode content from a source, you can protect the content at the same time, thus eliminating the extra step. As a result, content is never in an unprotected state before you deliver it.
Content that has been encrypted with digital rights management (DRM) technology is called protected content. In order to play back protected content, a user must have the corresponding license. This separate license "unlocks" the content and determines how the content can be used. For example, a license for promotional content might allow a user to play the content five times, or the license for rental content might expire after three days.

Abstract
Microsoft® Windows Media® 9 Series provides support for real-time digital rights management (DRM) protection during the encoding process. This article provides an overview of the DRM process and describes how to protect content by using Windows Media Encoder.
The license is issued by a third-party license provider. Before you can protect your content, you must set up an account with a license provider and establish the business model and terms of the licenses for the content.

The video then either downloads, or try's to make you download the offending software, and if your luckey an licence to let you view the origonal content as well- but sometimes not.

Is their anyway spybot could be used to detect this? In any new beta version?

Re: detection of DRM.

Long topic here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=174&highlight=Sony

Cheers.

Tommie
2006-05-13, 06:35
Something like this which yould have installed known spyware.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/57700487

I've encountered an few which don't ask for eula's. To install the spyware and some that do.

Yes i was sourcing an new copy of the film over an p2p network, as i don't know any film studio's that would hapily provide an replacement dvd for an nomianal fee, like you used to be able to do with software.