PDA

View Full Version : Is My Copy Of Spybot 1.60 Defective?

Randal
2009-01-12, 21:35
As I still have not found any resolution to my "Recovery not Recovering" thread, and the issue remains, should I consider my installation of Spybot 1.60 to be defective? If not how can I trust that Spybot will be able to recognize items which Spybot "fixed" and are in the "Recover" folder, and will be able to "Recover" them in the future?

el nemto
2009-01-12, 22:07
Maybe you could return your copy of Spybot to the store and exchange it :bigthumb:

but seriously, if you're having trouble with the recovery function you could use...crap it's been so long since I've had to use it I've forgotten the name for it, wow

the thing in windows that allows you to rollback to previous registry and system settings

...System Restore, that's it

I'm not sure why Spybot wouldn't work though, someone who knows more about the internal workings of the program could probably tell you though.

drragostea
2009-01-12, 23:57
Randal, are these settings checked?
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z276/Shockwavesn1per/Spybot.jpg
-

Randal
2009-01-13, 02:33
I thank you for your quick reply Draggostea: All of the options under "Main Settings" are checked except "Default Mode" & "I do not know all that legal stuff" which remain unchecked.

drragostea
2009-01-14, 01:07
Randal, the two other options (Default Mode and legal stuff) are not important at the moment.

Can you uninstall Spybot and reinstall a fresh copy and see if that works?Is there something you would like to restore specifically? Or are you just wondering why the Recovery column is blank?

Randal
2009-01-14, 03:29
Drragostea again I thank you for your helpful reply. My concerns are this 1) I do not understand why Spybot will not list these items as being recoverable in the Recover Window, if it turned out that they were really needed how would I be able to restore them if Spybot will not give me the option. 2) If Spybot detects items in the future that it wants me to let it "fix" how can I trust that it will give me the option to Recover them if they are needed. I understand that cookies and the like are useless and will be uneeded but items such as PUP items may be needed.
At this point I have only experienced a couple of issues with movie trailers which I have tried to view on the internet, these were not playing well, other than that I have not experienced any real problems I just wanted to be assured that should I have needed them Spybot would restore them as it stated.

drragostea
2009-01-14, 03:38
md usa spybot fan said in the last thread that the items could be recoverable. They are password protected zipped files.

Also, would a fresh reinstall work (install with the default settings) and retain the Recovery folder you have now and later drag the contents into the new Spybot folder?

Randal
2009-01-14, 13:46
Drragostea I thank you for your assistance. Although it has been stated that Spybot can restore these items no one can tell me how this is done when Spybot Recovery does not show them. Also md usa stated that he does not recommend unzipping these password protected folders "The Overview.ini contains a summary of the recovery files (zipped folders). Apparently Spybot is not seeing the files either to properly recreate the Overview.ini file or to populate the Recover screen. However, Spybot normally works with the recovery files (zipped folders) as they were created and I do not suggest that you extract them."Thanks again for your kind assistance.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-14, 17:10
Randal:

... Also md usa stated that he does not recommend unzipping these password protected folders "The Overview.ini contains a summary of the recovery files (zipped folders). Apparently Spybot is not seeing the files either to properly recreate the Overview.ini file or to populate the Recover screen. However, Spybot normally works with the recovery files (zipped folders) as they were created and I do not suggest that you extract them."
That was in response to your query if Spybot's recover facility needed the files unzipped in the recover folder order to see them:

Is it possible that the problem is that Spybot cannot see these files in the Recovery Zipped Folders, and that the folders need to be unzipped and the contents out in the open in the Recovery Folder?
Randal
If you want to extract them to a location other than the recovery folder feel free. You will find that there are normally two files in each of zipped folders. One is a control file that Spybot uses to dertemine the location of were the restore should be placed and the other is the either a file that has to be restored or exported .reg file for restoring registry entries.

Randal
2009-01-14, 18:13
md usa thanks for the additional information.