PDA

View Full Version : spywareinfo.trafficZ

keyteem
2009-01-20, 12:06
I have searched similar threads regarding this "spywareinfo.trafficZ" but
cannot not find a definate answer,
spybot is finding a red spywareinfo.trafficZ , it seems to let me remove it
but after a rescan it is there again ,
It says it is located at firefox default,bookmark default,browser entry.
I am not using seamonky
programs I have used find nothing,full virus scan,kaspersky,spywareterminator,
How can i remove it , or if I missed a previous thread on this and it is just
a false threat, how can i remove that, thanx in advance

wazza2004
2009-01-25, 03:31
Just found that i have the same problem. Surprised no one has replied to original post. Any assistance out there?

drragostea
2009-01-25, 05:45
wazza, what original post? I don't see any post from you regarding this issue in the past, based on your public profile.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=44116
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=44196

PepiMK
2009-01-25, 11:29
I guess he meant the one above him.

That no other app has found it is not that difficult... most are not supporting as many browsers as we do.

One important thing when fixing browser entries is that the affected browser has to be closed while fixing, otherwise the browser might restore a file at a later point from a copy it has in memory.

@keyteem: if you don't use Firefox at all, you probably tried it in the past though?

wazza2004
2009-01-25, 11:50
I refer to the post by Keytem.

Originally did a google search which came up with this post at the top. Later found there were other posts.

Kept on running spybot and clearing the 'problem'. After 5th attempt it did not reappear. Will try again tonight to see if it crops up again.

hoosierdude
2009-01-25, 15:15
I have the same issue reported by keyteem.

PepiMK
2009-01-26, 22:42
See my post above... did you two had Firefox open or closed while fixing?

And was it Firefox 2 or 3? 2 might have problems, to fix things in FF2, the Spybot 1.6.2 update from today might be more useful :)

berries
2009-01-27, 00:09
I did a scan with spybot 1.60 and got the following results:
This comes up in red:

Spywareinfo.TrafficZ
bookmark (firefox default)downloads.html(http://www.spyware.info)
bookmark (firefox default) forums.html (http://www.spyware.info..)
bookmark (firefox default) index.html (http://www.spyware.info..)

I have windows XP version 1 on a dell computer?

Everytime I delete the above three things, when I open firefox, it keeps coming up again just if I open up firefox version 3.6. This is bothering me very much.

Firefox is closed when I delete the above things that come up on my machine.

Would you kindly advise me what to do?

Thanks for any help.

:police:

PepiMK
2009-01-27, 00:21
The latest Firefox is 3.0.5, are you sure you've got a 3.6? :spider:

drragostea
2009-01-27, 00:24
I doubt there is a Mozilla Firefox version 3.6 :laugh:. It seems like this bookmark thing (it sounds like it's directing or redirecting to that spyware . info site everytime Firefox is opened) regenerates upon the execution of Firefox. :fear: Is there anything we can do about it (I mean I was just curious if there's a way to fix this?)?.

:fear:

berries
2009-01-27, 00:33
Firefox 3.05 is the version that I have, sorry about that.

What do I do to get rid of this? Is this a false positive or do I have to upgrade to spybot version 1.62?

Do I have to do anything with firefox, like add a profile, will that fix the problem?

Thanks for any help.

hoosierdude
2009-01-27, 00:50
To PepiMK - I'm running Firefox 3.0.5 and its closed while Spybot fixes the problem. My Spybot S&D is V1.6.0.31 with detection update 1/21/2009.

hoosierdude
2009-01-27, 22:31
I run Firefox and many months ago I bookmarked an article at spywareinfo.com. Since then, the url has apparently become compromised and Spybot S&D has begun flagging it as a threat. I sifted through my Firefox bookmarks, found the bookmark, deleted it, ran another Spybot scan, and found the threat was eliminated.

It turns out much of the content of spywareinfo.com can now be found on spywareinfoforum.com and this url does not pose a threat.

I'll continue running Spybot S&D scans and if the threat flag returns, I'll add another post to this thread.

wazza2004
2009-01-28, 04:24
I kept on running spybot search and destroy several times and each time the 'virus' cropped up until eventually it stopped cropping up. Maybe worth running search and destroy several times to remove it.

I have firefox 3.0.5 open while doing the scan. Had no problems since 3 days ago. I run spybot each day.

keyteem
2009-01-28, 18:40
I have been trying to rid myself of this pest since my first post,with no success.
Everytime spybot finds it and I try to remove it spybot hangs indefinately.

hoosierdude, did you find the url in your bookmarks while you where
in your browser and remove the link from there?

thanx

hoosierdude
2009-01-28, 19:02
Hello Keyteem:

Exactly - I opened Firefox, found the url in Firefox bookmarks, and deleted it from there (i.e. not from Spybot). Since doing so, I've run several Spybot scans and found the threat flag no longer appears. I don't know what Spybot means when it says it has fixed the problem but trying to get rid of it from within Spybot didn't work for me.

hoosierdude
2009-01-28, 19:28
Hello Keyteem:

Exactly - I opened Firefox, found the url in Firefox bookmarks, and deleted it from there (i.e. not from Spybot). Since doing so, I've run several Spybot scans and found the threat flag no longer appears. I don't know what Spybot means when it says it has fixed the problem but trying to get rid of it from within Spybot didn't work for me.

To clarify - from within Firefox, I deleted the bookmark to the article. Since the article was from the offending domain name (i.e. spywareinfo.com), deleting the bookmark, deleted the domain name as well.

keyteem
2009-01-28, 20:00
I am not at my "home" computer right now, I will check this out asap
and return feedback tonight, I remember going through the bookmarks
folder already but possibly missed it.

One other thing ,I normally use the browser on my flash drive almost
100% of the time at a few different computers, and checked it for this
"spywareinfo" bookmark and I found it . I just removed it after reading
your post hoosierdude,,
strange thing is ,, I ran a spybot scan on this drive and found no issues
just a couple days ago.
Strange that my flash drive would not show a scan problem with spybot
when the url was definately in the bookmarks,and no scan problems at any
other computer I have used my flash drive on .huhmmmm?

berries
2009-01-28, 21:04
To clarify - from within Firefox, I deleted the bookmark to the article. Since the article was from the offending domain name (i.e. spywareinfo.com), deleting the bookmark, deleted the domain name as well.

I deleted the bookmarks that I had in firefox 3.05 with the url spywareinfo.com and then I scanned with spybot and it is fine.

I don't understand why spybot would flag that url.

Thanks for your help.

Berries
:laugh:

hoosierdude
2009-01-28, 21:28
Hello Berries:

From what I gather, the owner of domain name spywareinfo.com allowed it to expire.

keyteem
2009-01-29, 15:35
I found the url in my "browser bookmarks",deleted the url, and
re-ran spybot ---problem solved!
Thanx for your help folks.

Carol
2009-01-31, 05:08
Spywareinfo.TrafficZ: Bookmark

I removed the bookmark three scans ago. "Fixed it" each time it's been detected, since I removed the bookmark. It keeps returning. Nothing else is open when scanning. IOW.. FF is closed. Not losing sleep over it, but I'd rather see the "same ole" boring clean scans I'm used to.

Any help would be appreciated..
Carol

FF 3.0.5 (default)
SS&D v1.6.2

hoosierdude
2009-01-31, 06:37
Hi Carol:

Sorry your scans are still dirty, but just to make sure, try this:
1. Close Spybot and open Firefox
2. In Firefox, open "Bookmarks" and select "Organize Bookmarks"
3. In the right hand panel, right click the narrow bar at the top and make sure "Location" is checked
4. In the left panel, under "Bookmarks Menu" select each bookmark (or folder) one at a time, and check its location for "spywareinfo.com"
5. Each time it shows up, delete it....this is in case you have multiple bookmarks pointing to the offending domain
6. When you're finished, close Firefox, cross your fingers, run a Spybot scan, and pray for a "same ole" boring clean scan

Carol
2009-02-01, 00:39
hoosierdude..

At first I was going to (immediately) reply with "been there..done that", but I thought better of it. Thinking maybe there was a second to be found. And indeed there was. Merijn.org listed as Spywareinfo. Deleted it and ran a scan. I'm now back to "same ole" boring clean scan.

Thanks for the "push"..
Carol

hoosierdude
2009-02-01, 05:46
Carol:

Good news........happy to help.