PDA

View Full Version : Should I exclude Win. Sec. Center F'wall Disabled Notify from further searches?

Judesman
2006-05-15, 20:11
I have recently upgraded from NAV 02 to NAV 06 (Not without problems). Now Spybot S & D is telling me "Windows Security Center Firewall Disabled Notify". However, in Control Panel/Security Center, Firewall is ON, but this relates to Norton Internet Worm Protection and not Windows Firewall. I do not know which provides the better protection but Norton Worm Protection was recommended at the set up of NAV 06. Assuming that NAV Worm Protection provides the better cover, should I right click the S&D notification and exclude product from further searches?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Judesman.

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-15, 22:01
I am not exactly sure what the "Norton Internet Worm Protection" that you referred is, but Norton Internet Security does turn off certain alerts within Windows Security Center.

Actually you may be looking in the wrong area of the Windows Security Center for what Spybot is detecting. If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

If the first item in that list of possible alerts is unchecked, Spybot will issue the following detection during a scan:

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
If you feel that Norton is offering you that same protection that Windows Security Center is offering than you can set ignore the Spybot detection and exclude it from further searches.

Judesman
2006-05-16, 01:32
Many thanks MD USA Spybot Fan. I have rechecked the first and third alerts in the Alert Setting Window. I don't know why Norton should change those settings.

Judesman