PDA

View Full Version : Immunize twice?

Randal
2009-01-22, 13:32
I have noticed that when Immunizing, about 120 files remain "unprotected". As I had no idea what that meant I immunized again and those 120 unprotected files were then listed as protected. Should I usually have to immunize twice in a row?
Yes I do have AVG Antivirus and did read the sticky regarding unprotected files but as I am new to Spybot and this whole malware software field I don't understand what is going on in this area. I appreciate any insight into this.
Randal

Greyfox
2009-01-22, 14:20
It always helps when you ask a question if you provide some background.

Specifically, what operating system, what version of Spybot, what browsers do you have, is it a single user or multiuser computer and importantly what catagory were the 120 items that were unprotected?

Randal
2009-01-22, 16:12
My apologies. I am quite new to this type of program and, as you have probably discovered, have had some difficulties with various issues. I am running Windows XP home edition, with all of the latest updates and Service Packs installed. I only use Internet Explorer 7 and there are no aditional users set. I do not remember which files were not protected on the first run as I found it difficult to find that information. I will try harder to get that information on the next run. This has happened everytime I innoculate and find it strange that it is always 120 files unprotected, but become protected without any apparent problems with the second run. I thank you for your reply.

m00nbl00d
2009-01-23, 00:01
As far as I know it has always been like that. Specially, the first time we apply the immunizations, and then, after we re-immunize after each update. It will never immunize everything. I always had to do it twice.

It has nothing to do with AVG or operating system. In every security systems I deploy, where I also install Spybot, it has always happened.

Regards

Randal
2009-01-23, 03:13
m00nbl00d: Thanks for the information. I have found Spybot to be quite a learning curve, as well as a little problematic.

Greyfox
2009-01-23, 10:41
As far as I know it has always been like that...

m00nbl00d, Randal
I have Spybot running on multiple XP machines, some Home, some Pro, both SP2 and SP3. I don't have that problem with immunisation with the version I am currently using 1.6.1.38 (I haven't moved to the later 1.6.1.41) and I and I can't recall having to do that with any of the recent releases, which is why I asked specifically what catagories the items that didn't immunise the first time were in.

m00nbl00d
2009-01-23, 15:03
m00nbl00d, Randal
I have Spybot running on multiple XP machines, some Home, some Pro, both SP2 and SP3. I don't have that problem with immunisation with the version I am currently using 1.6.1.38 (I haven't moved to the later 1.6.1.41) and I and I can't recall having to do that with any of the recent releases, which is why I asked specifically what catagories the items that didn't immunise the first time were in.

I've always witnessed it with every version, since I first started using Spybot about 2 years ago.

Could it be because of the chosen language? If it has anything to do with it, that is.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-23, 16:07
m00nbl00d:

I have had the same experience as Greyfox. I don't recall ever having to immunize twice.

I don't think that the language would effect the process, but what language are you using?

Randal:

What language are you using?

Randal
2009-01-23, 16:16
Greyfox,m00nbl00d: I thank you for your replies. As for me I am running Spybot 1.6.0.30 With Last Detection Update 21 01 2009.

Randal
2009-01-23, 19:47
I am using English. Am using Default mode, and have tea timer off. All the other settings are default as far as I know.

Randal
2009-01-31, 15:59
I now have some more information on Imunization not imunizing files on first pass.
I do not know how to display the full file path, but here is what I could see.
Internet Explorer
\Software (Domains) = 10 Unprotected
\Software (Secur... = 10 Unprotected
Default (Domains) = 10 Unprotected
Default (Secure Do... = 10 Unprotected
Owner (Randal) (Do... = 10 Unprotected
Owner (Randal) (Sec... = 10 Unprotected
Windows
Global (Hosts) = 10 Unprotected

70 Unprotected files on first pass
All became protected upon completion of second pass, however it took awhile for the 10 Unprotected files under Windows Global (Hosts) to become protected.

Greyfox
2009-02-01, 06:02
Randal,

Are you running any other antimalware software other than SpybotSD?

Have you made sure your Internet Explore browser closed at the time you do the immunisation.

Whilst I would not have thought this was an interaction with AVG antivirus, have you tried doing the immunisation with AVG temporarily shut down (off line of course).

Just a late thought. When you first click on the immunise button it opens the immunise screen. The green progress bar moves across the screen. Then it tells you what is immunised and what is not. This is NOT an immunisation pass, just a reporting pass. To add the new immunisations you have to click on the green cross (immuse icon) near the top of the screen. If this is what is happening it is quite normal.

Randal
2009-02-01, 15:34
greyfox I thank you for your helpful reply. Spybot is the only antispyware program which I have. I have not shutdown AVG while immunizing, I will consider that in future. I think that I shut down Internet Explorer before immunizing, but can't remember for sure. I will follow your directions in future. Thanks again for your assistance.
Randal