PDA

View Full Version : Updater warning message.

Rubberkitty
2009-01-28, 06:22
I have installed Spybot version 1.6.2 and set in the settings for when the program starts it check for new updates and immunize if there are any updates installed. The previous version would check and whether it had found any updates or not the program would start normally.

This version now gives this warning box - "Please select some update files from the list first."
If I setup an automatic scan it will obviously hang at that message until I click the OK button. Is there a new setting somewhere or should I not use these settings in this way?

Rubberkitty
2009-01-30, 18:03
Hello? Anyone?

Myykee
2009-02-03, 19:51
I have this problem too. I installed version 1.6.2.46 on 2 Vista machines and 1 XP machine. The XP machine works fine. The Vista machines display this warning with an automatic or manual update: "Please select some update files from the list first".

Notes:
1. There is NO list of updates displayed to select from.
2. I Never see the "Spybot S&D Updater" window when I click [Update], just the warning.
3. It may only display the warning when it is already "Up to date" because I don't think it did it on the first update (current detection = 1/28/09).
4. I am running it with administrator priviledges.

Rubberkitty
2009-02-06, 19:00
Did I say some wrong? Why wont any one respond to my problem?

AU518987077
2009-02-14, 12:51
i to am curious as to why this seems to be happening to only the vista machines
(i got two XP's a home and a pro and they don't seem to be seeing this) like the one I'm using to type this message

Ncguy
2009-02-14, 14:10
Its happening to me on my vista machine also.

Add to that if I try to stop a scan that has auto started so that I can get to the program interface it just freezes after I hit the stop button.

Is it still possible to obtain the prior release?

Ncguy
2009-02-14, 14:49
I have also noticed that the scan in this release is running muuuch slower. Maybe its just being more thorough? Anyhow my confidence in this release is really being challenged here. I really hope we either get a new point release that addresses this stuff or a link to the old release and instructions for uninstall/reinstall.

Looks like until that happens I'm going to at least have to stop running the product.

reward
2009-02-14, 15:45
i also have this problem & have tried several things to fix, to no avail! but, the program seems to be updating and if you run the manual "Update Spybot" it allows you to do the search, which in my case says that my program is up-to-date. as far as it being slower scanning, i can not comment on that, all of my machines are set to scan automatically in the night & by the time i get on them in the mornings the scans have completed & as always Spybot seems to be doing a good job catching & cleaning things! the other problem i would have removing it, because of this, would be the loss of the internet protection it has! i would say hold on for now, keep checking with manual updater, schedule scans for early morning & i think (hope) that this problem will be corrected as quickly as possible! we can definitely see we are not alone with this...

Ncguy
2009-02-14, 19:36
Have you (or anyone else) tried to stop the scan by hitting the stop button to go to the interface? When I try it spybot now freezes. Anyone else having the same problem? Since my spybot runs as a scheduled task this is my normal way to get into the interface.

DLWilson61
2009-02-15, 04:09
I too am getting similar messages when starting up Spybot S&D 1.6.2 but I am getting them on both Vista and XP. It tries to autoload updates and then I get "Error Retrieving Update Info File!" followed by "System Read Error" I have uninstalled and reinstalled on both systems to no avail. I even ran msconfig to shut shut everything else off as a precaution when I reinstalled, but it didn't help. This has been totally frustrating to me as I have 4 computers I take care of personally and 2 others I assist with and they all have Spybot on them! Someone needs to do something about this and soon! :(

xavierk
2009-02-15, 04:12
Is everyone here using Windows Vista 64bit?

Please post your OS and version to help track the issue.

I did post a bug report here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=45761

I personally and using Vista 64bit.

X

DLWilson61
2009-02-15, 04:33
Vista & Windows XP are what's agrevating me:mad::mad:

tiffmc
2009-02-15, 11:30
The same thing is happening to me! I am using Windows Vista 32bit.

Ncguy
2009-02-16, 00:59
Vista32

Again, anyone know how to go back?

PepiMK
2009-02-16, 18:54
It might have to do with the DDoS attacks on the computing center where the main update information is hosted, which have started again yesterday. If the file is only partially received due to those, it might not have updates... does it show a list of mirrors to select from?

Franciscus
2009-02-16, 19:20
I too am getting that problem on the Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine.

ivo2296
2009-02-16, 20:55
Hello,

The update doesn't work on any windows versions...

I think the reason for that is the timeout to the server, currently overloaded or it has its own problems...

Ncguy
2009-02-16, 20:59
Hello,

The update doesn't work on any windows versions...

I think the reason for that is the timeout to the server, currently overloaded or it has its own problems...

If this is the case then why is it only related to the new release?

ivo2296
2009-02-16, 21:07
If this is the case then why is it only related to the new release?

I didn't know that the update works on older versions.

I don't even know if there any changed program code for the update function...

Name User
2009-02-16, 22:16
I'm on XP Home SP3 32 bit and I can't get the updater to work either. I installed 1.6.2 over the old version with the old version still running. It should be able to install that way because it's done so before and says only to close other applications. Though it doesn't happen as often as it used to, problems getting updates due to server traffic has happened before and they have suggested manually downloading them.

I never have it set to automatically update, preferring to click the update tab when I run a scan. I get an error retrieving update message, along with program not responding and send error report. I'm pretty sure these can all be related to the updater connection to their server timing out. I think it's probably server overload as mentioned because I can't even get on their site to manually download the detection updates.

the_Wop
2009-02-16, 22:50
It might have to do with the DDoS attacks on the computing center where the main update information is hosted, which have started again yesterday. If the file is only partially received due to those, it might not have updates... does it show a list of mirrors to select from?

No I don't see the list it pops up the error message and I have to click out! Using Windows XP SP2 32 bit and had no previous version problems!

drragostea
2009-02-17, 02:02
The updater should be working now, I just checked.

AU518987077
2009-02-17, 12:30
The updater should be working now, I just checked.

sorry, i just tried, and still, "please select..." at least the scan is still working (or so it looks like it is)

Ncguy
2009-02-17, 16:37
Confirmed, still doing the same thing.

Add to that you can stop the scan after its started or Spybot just freeezes up and you have to kill it with task manager. Its all about the new release.

drragostea
2009-02-19, 20:15
Can you try a full uninstall and reinstall it and see if it works? Download a fresh copy:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-
Uninstall Spybot, reboot, delete the Program Folder and proceed with installation.

Ncguy
2009-02-23, 04:54
Unfortunately I'm going to be mobile until March and wont have an oppurtunity to try it on my spybot loaded machine. Since others are having the exact same issues maybe they will offer in my absense?

Can you try a full uninstall and reinstall it and see if it works? Download a fresh copy:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-
Uninstall Spybot, reboot, delete the Program Folder and proceed with installation.

CopperRose
2009-02-23, 18:56
I was having the same problem on my Vista machine as the OP but not in my XP machines. I was getting the Warning window that said "Please select some update files from the list first.", but there was nothing to select.

I tried downloading a fresh copy, uninstalling Spybot, rebooting deleting the Program folder and reinstalling. This still didn't solve the problem.

This morning I had the Ah Ha to try setting the compatibility mode on SpybotSD.exe to XP service pack 2 (the only option I had).

Voila no more warning window.

Hope this help.

Ncguy
2009-02-23, 20:43
I was having the same problem on my Vista machine as the OP but not in my XP machines. I was getting the Warning window that said "Please select some update files from the list first.", but there was nothing to select.

I tried downloading a fresh copy, uninstalling Spybot, rebooting deleting the Program folder and reinstalling. This still didn't solve the problem.

This morning I had the Ah Ha to try setting the compatibility mode on SpybotSD.exe to XP service pack 2 (the only option I had).

Voila no more warning window.

Hope this help.

Interesting, so technically the newest release is no longer truly vista compatible. Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?

AU518987077
2009-02-24, 12:22
Interesting, so technically the newest release is no longer truly vista compatible. Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?
i can update now with out the error message in XP SP2 mode, however there are no newer updates available, maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-24, 13:47
AU518987077:

... maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.
There are normally updates each Wednesday. So, you can try again tomorrow.

Ncguy
2009-02-24, 18:01
i can update now with out the error message in XP SP2 mode, however there are no newer updates available, maybe ill wait a week and see what happens.

Yes, but can you can you hit the stop scan button during a spyware scan of your PC?

Rubberkitty
2009-02-24, 18:10
I can confirm that setting spybot to run in compatibilty mode (XP SP2) that the message no longer appears on Vista x64.
I will also report back when updates are available and see what happens.

CopperRose
2009-02-25, 13:56
Can you stop an in-progress scan without spybot locking up?

I started a scan and was able to stop it with out problem. Normally I have a scheduled scan so hadn't tried this before.

Rubberkitty
2009-02-25, 18:27
With compatibilty mode setting (XP SP2) Spybot updated normally and does not give the warning message "Please select some update files from the list first.".

I shut off compatibility mode and reran spybot and the message returned.
So there is some definate compatibilty issue with the updater or spybot.

drragostea
2009-02-26, 00:25
Just a heads up, the compatibility prompt has to do with Lavasoft's AdAware, not really the updater.

PepiMK
2009-02-26, 14:37
Do you (who have this problem on Vista) have UAC disabled?

Rubberkitty
2009-02-26, 17:29
@drragostea: I do not not use nor have Lavasoft's Adaware.

@PepiMK: I have tested with UAC enabled and disabled and either way the message appears.

Only running in compatibility mode (XP SP2) has stopped the message box.

AU518987077
2009-02-27, 12:19
Yes, but can you can you hit the stop scan button during a spyware scan of your PC?

nope was a fluke, it only worked that one time, nwo when i put it to xp compatibiltiy it will still do the "please select a file form teh blah blah blah"

however i havent had any problem stopping a scan without freezing up (program or os)

Rubberkitty
2009-03-04, 06:01
Going to BUMP until solved....

adipisicing
2009-03-07, 22:06
A possible workaround: the "Update Spybot-S&D" entry in my Start menu is set to run as an administrator. It appears that if I open the updater directly from the Start menu, it seems to work correctly. (IE it presents its UI, does not present an error message, and lets me go through a normal update process. However, I need to wait a week and see if it will actually find updates).

Another possible workaround: In Settings > Settings > Web Update UNcheck "Search the web for new versions at each program start". (With this checked, the accursed dialog box shows up at startup, before the "Loading Spybot" progress bar completes, and the dialog also appears every time I click the "Update" or "Search for Updates" buttons. With this UNchecked, manually clicking either of those buttons causes the updater to successfully launch)

Some background:

I am experiencing this problem as well, on Vista Ultimate 32 bit, from an administrator account, with UAC enabled. I ran the installer as an administrator.

If I run Spybot as an administrator, I get the described behavior. If I do not run it as an administrator, clicking the "update" button appears to have no effect at all. I would be happy to provide more information if necessary.

PepiMK
2009-03-09, 20:49
*bumping myself* second-next on the list of topics I'm going to look into myself :)

PepiMK
2009-03-10, 18:40
I started looking into this now, but must admit I have trouble reproducing it. A few threads dealing with this I tagged with update select some files first (http://forums.spybot.info/tags.php?tag=update+select+some+files+first), if anyone sees more, feel free to add the same tag.

Let me try to get a status overview:

Compatibility mode fixes it.
Running updater directly fixes it.
UAC does not seem to play a role.
But its Vista only.
Auto-updating was mentioned, but also manual clicking on the Update button.
The option "Search the web for new versions at each program start" might be involved.

I finally received the message with these steps:

Set the "Search the web for new versions at each program start" option
Cleared the updates folder
Started SpybotSD.exe elevated
Received error

At this point, update.exe restarting SpybotSD.exe might pass a parameter to SDUpdate.exe that might be responsible, but in that case it would not happen as often.

Another thing noticed:

SDUpdate.exe won't elevate when called from within unelevated main. Will have to check why.

Going to look into the problem now that I could reproduce it :)

PepiMK
2009-03-10, 19:00
Coul someone please check if this updated SDUpdate.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=51) fixes the issue?

Ncguy
2009-03-10, 19:41
Coul someone please check if this updated SDUpdate.exe (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=51) fixes the issue?

It seems to startup normally now through the scheduler and I am running vista ultimate. However if I attempt to manually do a stop check after the scan has started it is still locking up spybot. I never had a problem with this using the prior release.

PepiMK
2009-03-10, 19:54
Thanks for testing :)

That's just for the update problem, not for the scheduled-scan-stop-hang (a normal long "freeze" after the scan might have been fixed by this (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=37), but a hang or freeze during startup or scheduled scanning is still on our list).

Ncguy
2009-03-10, 19:59
Thanks for testing :)

That's just for the update problem, not for the scheduled-scan-stop-hang (a normal long "freeze" after the scan might have been fixed by this (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=37), but a hang or freeze during startup or scheduled scanning is still on our list).

Is there a thread you can point me to for this issue?

Rubberkitty
2009-03-10, 22:35
I made a backup of the SDUpdate.exe and replaced it with the one you have posted and everything works like it should.

Recopied the original SDUpdate.exe and the message returned.

Thank you PepiMK
Seems you have solved it :bigthumb:

JimOfCR
2009-04-14, 17:31
Spybot
Vista Home Premium SP1

PLEASE NOTE: I have been using Spybot on this computer with Vista since September 2007 without the update problem. This thread does not refer to my problem, but I am posting here because Spybot's tech support referred me to this location (tech: Norma)

I have replaced SDUpdate.exe in the Spybot folder with the one provided. It did not fix the problem, but it changed the symptom. On selecting update, I no longer get an error msg. I can see a dialog window briefly that is full of flags, but it disappears before I can do anything. The normal UI then appears. If I look under 'Info & License', I find 'Latest detection update: 4/8/2009. That was probably the last time I ran Spybot. The new update problem appeared for the first time today.

I have now set the program to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode, as directly by the email from Norma. This had no apparent effect.

Thanks for the very rapid response. I look forward to the next one.

JKelly
2009-04-17, 22:07
I tried the new file and the message went away but now a window with a bunch of flags appears and disappears on the screen before I can even read it much less click on anything and then the program just returns to its normal state.

JimOfCR
2009-04-23, 19:21
Is anyone looking at this problem?
I still cannot update the definitions.
I still get the brief display of a dialog with flags that closes before it fully displays followed by the "Please make a choice..." prompt.
I have taken all of the recommended actions.
I have read the old posts of a different problem with similar symptoms that do not apply to this one.
This is a NEW problem this month after having used Spybot since Sept 2007 on this same Vista machine.
Home Vista Premium SP1
Spybot S&D 1.6.2
Thanks in advance.

JimOfCR
2009-04-23, 20:40
Spybot 1.6.2 Vista Home Premium SP1
As stated above, used ok on this vista machine since Sept 2007.
Update problem and freeze on interrupt developed in March or April 2009.
None of the fixes (replacing sdupdate.exe, admin privs, XP compatibility mode) fixed the problems.
HOW I FIXED IT:
I uninstalled Spybot.
I downloaded a fresh copy of version 1.6.2 and installed.
I now can update and interrupt scanning without problems.

jiriki
2009-04-28, 19:06
Opened up the scheduler in Vista (32bit with UAC disabled) and on the Properties | General page of the task that Spybot created for updater through the Spybot interface, I changed the Configure For: to "Windows Vista or Windows Server2008" from "Windows XP..." (dropdown at the bottom of pane), saved, entered admin credentials and ran the task; no error displayed.

Problem is I won't be able to see if it worked until an update is out.

jeffw_00
2009-07-11, 16:58
I'm having the same problem in WINXP-Home SP3 - I hae 5 machines configured similarly, and 3 of them have the problem. The patch updater doesn't seem to help. Help?
/j

Matt
2009-07-11, 18:47
I'm having the same problem in WINXP-Home SP3 - I hae 5 machines configured similarly, and 3 of them have the problem. The patch updater doesn't seem to help. Help?
/j
Did you already try a complete uninstall (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) and a new, fresh installation on these three computers? Don't update Spybot during the installation and tell me if that helps. :thanks:

submix8c
2009-12-17, 22:43
Did you already try a complete uninstall (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) and a new, fresh installation on these three computers? Don't update Spybot during the installation and tell me if that helps. :thanks:Hmmm... look here - same thing (kind of) -
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=351942
"Click-bang, what a hang, my SpyBot just shot poor me..." (to paraphrase Hendrix)

Thylonicus
2010-03-01, 21:30
I'm not a closeted e-necropostiphile, I swear. But, I just ran into the same problem as described earlier in the thread, where the program refused to update. Also as per the thread, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall--but no go. I see, for but a moment, the mirror list (the window with all the flags, as was phrased elsewhere in this thread), then it disappears.

Frankly, I'm at a loss. I've looked around the internet (which led me here in the first place), and per this other thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=47147), I downloaded that .exe and replaced the one in the Program Files-> Spybot folder, which got me further, but still no go. It still hangs on start-up, and I still can't update (though I, perhaps obviously, no longer get the warning about needing to select some update files).

Once again, I'm at a loss. I love Spybot. I love it. I want to have its robo-pirate-ninja-monkey-zombie babies, I really do. But--I don't know what to do, and nothing I've found so far seems to help. I've messed with the Properties-> Compatablity thing. I've downloaded and extracted the alternate .exe. I've completely reinstalled the program.

I will, of course, continue to look for help on my own, but I'm hoping that breathing life into this thread will let the developers (who are fanastically awesome and made of win) will see it's an on-going issue.

Thylonicus
2010-03-01, 22:00
Update, and apparently I'm a drooling idiot who couldn't find the edit button for my last post. Anyway!

So I was following the Vista suggestions given in this (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194) and had gotten to the part where it says to find the one randomly-named .scr file, and run as administrator.

I actually found three. BVZXZKYUTGM, RQPGMQUEMKXABXDTX, and TNLUEKVBWMDK, for what it's worth. I right-clicked, as per instructions, but could not find the Run as Administrator option. I scanned the right-click menu closely, and even looked through the Properties menu, but to no avail.

Semi-randomly (actually, based on the advice for Win2K users), I double-clicked the three files. The first and third, nothing. The second, however--it popped up "Spybot - S&D Updator". Surprised, I clicked Search. I was told there were no new updates. I re-double-clicked, and this tim checked the box for also adding beta updates. This brought up the mirror list (the window with the flags), and--it stayed right there. I selected a mirror (the first Safer-Networking one, to be precise), and it seemed to download just fine.

So I started up Spybot proper again. It hanged for just a moment, in a flash it opened then closed the update window, then loaded up the main U.I. Clicking Search for Updates again got that flash of the updating menu.

Now, I obviously don't know for sure, but I believe I found a back-door to the updating. Yes, it's completely bass-ackward, but it might just have to suffice until a fix is found.

UUizard
2010-03-11, 09:36
Windows 7 Home Premium

Have used S&D on this system before with no issues. The problem started after the last update which I did perhaps 3- 4 weeks ago - can't remember exactly.

First I got the error message dialogue box, then I downloaded the new SDUpdate. Now there is no error message, and the download locations box pops up then disappears again. It does not respond to mouse clicks before it disappears.

Have set both the main program and SDUpdate to run in XP compatibility mode and also to run as administrator - makes no difference.

purple_arcana
2010-06-25, 00:29
i can't extract this file.
an error message popped up. something about cannot delete the output file.
i've already closed the s&d window.

UpTheHatters
2011-01-07, 22:57
I had the same problem in Windows 7 - 64 bit

"Please select some update files from the list first."

This is generated by the Windows scheduled task added when you add an updater task in the advanced settings menu.

It did not happen when I ran SS&D interactively.

Perhaps it was the way the command lines were passed ,i.e. the directory name or the parameters , but I removed the Default Scheduled task from Windows Task Scheduler and added my own.

My own task simply called a script file and ran daily.

The contents of the script (UpdateSD.cmd) were...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Update.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose >> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\update.log"

Note , the encapsulating quotes are very important.

This job runs and updates fine now.

YMMV

UpTheHatters
2011-01-08, 01:09
Anyway, back to a working solution :D:

If I delete updates\downloaded.ini and updates\lang*.zip file I can run

C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\sdupdate.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose

All works fine. No popup asking me to select update files first.

If I run it again, I get the pop up error message. Why ? No idea, something to do with the downloaded.ini file and the presence of language files methinks. Wiping out the existing files causes a full update to occur.

This is a hack, not a fix.

To summarise.

<PROGDIR> -= Where you installed SD&D , i.e.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy

1) Delete the existing update scheduled task.
2) Create a new scheduled task in Windows Task Scheduler that deletes the downloaded.ini and lang*.zip files from the <PROGDIR>\updates directory and then does the normal update.
3) Save the attached updatesd.txt as updatesd.cmd file into your <PROGDIR>
4) Save the attached sdupdate.txt as sdupdate.xml on your desktop and import into Scheduled Tasks.

(Start up Task Scheduler from START->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS->TASK SCHEDULER) Right click on Task Scheduler Library and choose Import. You may need to change credentials. If importing doesn't work, just create a new task and point it to the updatesd.cmd file.

5) Run the updatesd.cmd file once to test, it will clear down what it has to and refresh the updates.
6) Run the task manually and see if it works. Check the update.log file in <PROGDIR>

Note that I output to update.log just so I can carry on seeing if the task runs o.k. from time to time.

Attachments are for Win7 64 , should work with Vista etc
Save sdupdate.txt as sdupdate.xml: on your desktop and import into Task Scheduler.
Save updatesd.txt as updatesd.cmd in <PROGDIR>

UpTheHatters
2011-01-08, 01:23
I have attached a Test case.

Note the first two commands that delete the files first, then the update runs sucessfully.
When the update runs again , without deleting those files, you get the popup asking to select files first.

UpTheHatters
2011-01-08, 01:57
Finally, try as I might, I could not get the cmd file to run if installed in the prog dir. It runs fine from my user dir.

Weird. The scheduler doesn't actually run the cmd file, but reports it as being run in the task history (I know it doesn't run, the log file does not get updated)

Kaspersky though, is reporting my cmd file as PDM.rootshell suspicious behaviour. I run many cmd files from the task scheduler, so this must be something to do with tampering or messing around in the Spybot directory...

Hmmm....

Blitzed
2011-01-09, 11:31
I keep getting the error message 'Error retrieving update info file!' I'm running Windows Vista and haven't been able to update since I installed Spybot

Zenobia
2011-01-10, 05:30
Is there any other info in the error message after you see the 'Error retrieving update info file!' message?
Also,please have a look here,and see if anything helps:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/61.html

White Phoenix
2012-05-29, 18:16
I tried the new file and the message went away but now a window with a bunch of flags appears and disappears on the screen before I can even read it much less click on anything and then the program just returns to its normal state.

Why do I receive "update error - select files from the list" [link]

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista.

Just so the developers know, this problem also happens under Windows 7. I downloaded and replaced the file recommended for Vista, but like JKelly above, I get the flashing window he described.

However, if I click on the file directly or if I select “Search for updates...” from the menu by clicking on the tray icon, I can get the Update Search screen.

I did not need updates, so is the flashing screen behavior normal if no updates are needed? If so, could you please just have it hold it for a few seconds so people can read a message saying that no updates are needed?

Eastie
2012-10-08, 14:27
This is a very old thread into which I am jumping. But the problem still exists. I am running Spybot v1.6.2 on Windows 7/64 with administrative rights - in compatibility mode for Windows 7, in an attempt to eliminate this annoyance. Is there some alteration users are supposed to make to the updater's properties, in order to prevent it from generating the "Please select some update files..." popup dialog each time it makes its scheduled run?

There was an even earlier thread (from 2009?) with the same specific question that I have. And I tried the suggestions there. There is also a pointer to this thread.

So I apologize for posting the same question in two different threads.

Thanks!

spybotsandra
2012-10-08, 14:48
Hello,

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/ Windows 7.
You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SDUpdate.exe-1.6.1.19.zip#hash(md5:A0E7FDF5E87CCE18C46C6B6676996FFA).

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
Then choose the tab compatibilty.
There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Eastie
2012-10-09, 13:00
Got it, thanks!
:thanks:

cgoodloe
2012-10-09, 17:43
I was also getting this message even though I set up my program to run as administrator in the Properties of the icons. It still was giving me this message. So I have to manually Run as Administrator to open the program just to get updates. So try manually Run as Administrator by right clicking your icon and see if that fixes your issue.:angel:

Update: I tried to run that updater file in the above post and I got a bunch of errors running it but it did run and did update my program, I think. Most of the errors were "Can't load <filename>" I just hit OK everytime it happened and it continued. I think it's working fine now.

Eastie
2012-10-09, 19:21
Oh. I was hoping to eliminate error messages.

As far as manually running as Admin: the error dialogs are something I see after weekly scheduled automated updates. I want to be able to run updates as well as scans on an exclusively automated basis except for periodic immunizations prior to software installations.

Could there be an orphan registry key causing problems, from previously installed versions of SBS&D (including one recent awful beta)?

Mikael P.
2012-10-31, 09:58
Hello board,
I came here to find a solution to this issue, as it has been affecting me for some time now. I'm on a w7 x64.
I tried the suggested solution below but the problem has not disappeared. Is there something else we can do?

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SDUpdate.exe-1.6.1.19.zip#hash(md5:A0E7FDF5E87CCE18C46C6B6676996FFA).

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

finstinct
2012-11-17, 18:12
Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Thanks for trying to help. I completed the above and got a ton of errors that said the updater was corrupted and the like. I tabbed through 7-8 errors and then cancelled. I had previsouly uninstalled and reinstalled to try to get rid of this problem and fear that I have a virus that has affected Spybot.

When I try to update I get no updates are available. It says to use the updater to fix the issue? Can't though. I have already changed the program to run as administrator with no such luck. Any ideas?

Oh yeah WIN 7 Home Premium SP1

Zenobia
2012-11-17, 22:48
Just to clarify,were you originally getting the "Please select some update files from the list first." warning message?Then after you downloaded the new SDUpdate.exe,you began getting the error messages that said the updater was corrupted?
Also,you are using the Spybot 1.6.2 version?

finstinct
2012-11-21, 18:28
Just to clarify,were you originally getting the "Please select some update files from the list first." warning message?Then after you downloaded the new SDUpdate.exe,you began getting the error messages that said the updater was corrupted?
Also,you are using the Spybot 1.6.2 version?

Yes I was getting the same error, I downloaded the new SDUPdate.exe ran it and it said it was corrupted. Yes I'm using 1.6.2

Zenobia
2012-11-22, 01:11
Did you unzip the new SDUPdate.exe when you placed it into the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder?

finstinct
2012-11-26, 17:54
Did you unzip the new SDUPdate.exe when you placed it into the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder?

Yes

Zenobia
2012-11-27, 09:00
Okay,maybe the file just became corrupted when you downloaded.
You could try downloading it again,and see what happens.
http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=51
I'm unsure if it's okay to let the file overwrite the other one you downloaded or not.You could try that,and see if it works.

Or,if you prefer,there is a whole newer Spybot release.If you wanted to uninstall your older Spybot,and try out the newer one,maybe you wouldn't have the errors with the newer one.
http://www.safer-networking.org/private/
It's up to you.Please let me know how it goes. :)