PDA

View Full Version : Spybot shoebox files in Microsoft PictureIt

richrk
2009-01-28, 18:03
I am running windows XP and have Microsoft PictureIt photo software installed. There is a file called Shoebox in PictureIt that has many large files linked to Spybot.
P17PR
P18PB
P18PR
P127PRJ
P1 TX
P1 CT2
These files are very large (300MB) and all open with Spybot. Is there any way to reduce these files or delete them with no ill effects on PictureIt or spybot?

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Rich

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-28, 19:20
richrk:

They are not Spybot files. Spybot could just be scanning the files because there is no default program for that file extension or the Spybot right click context menu scan has now become the default program for a left double click that that file extension.

What are the full file names including the file extensions?

Try right clicking on one of the files, select "Open With" > "Choose Program" and then select an appropriate program depending on the file extension of the file.

richrk
2009-01-28, 19:47
The Spybot files in shoebox mostly (some do not) have an icon with a magnifying glass over a file folder.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/spybot2Small.jpg
When you click the large size files in the list the Spybot Search and Destroy window (the same I use to scan) opens.

I'm concerned that these files are growing larger with Spybot updates and Teatimer usage.

Normally Microsoft PictureIT is about a 200MB size in the add/remove section. It is now about 497 MB!

Some file extensions are
.sbc
sbt.

Thanks for your response.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-29, 06:43
richrk:

They are not Spybot files.
Spybot specific file extensions are:
.disabled
.sbe
.sbi
.sbs
.tnfo
.uti
.uts
For file extension .scb see:
File Extension .SBC Details
http://filext.com/file-extension/SBC
One possibility:

SBC Compressed Archive

Specific Notes [What's This?]
This format is a variable rate compressed audio format averaging 18 kbs used by the VPIM implementations on several voice messaging products of the Octel Messaging Division of Lucent Technologies. The data is a binary format with no header or trailer. The compression algorithm is a proprietary speech compression algorithm developed by the Octel Messaging Division of Lucent Technologies.

For file extension .sct see:
File Extension .SBT Details
http://filext.com/file-extension/SRT
One possibility:

DVD Subtitle File

Specific Notes [What's This?]
A number of different DVD programs use this extension for subtitles.

richrk
2009-01-29, 10:58
I did a search of the Microsoft Picture It installation disc and these files are shoebox files which is a Microsoft shared help file in the program.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/Shoebox2.jpg

As I posted when clicking on the larger files in the Shoebox file list Spybot Search and Destroy opens. This puzzles me. If I deleted these files would the data or updates in Spybot be gone? Are these files "shared" between Spybot and Picture It?

I scanned these files with Spybot and Avira antivirus and nothing was found.

What if I uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot and Picture It? Can you suggest any way to reduce the size of these files

drragostea
2009-01-29, 17:11
I really don't think these files of yours are related to Spybot in any way. What happens sometimes is that the Spybot Windows Explorer scanner will pop-up if the file is missing it's extension, meaning it does not open with the correct program.

Try right clicking on one of the files, select "Open With" > "Choose Program" and then select an appropriate program depending on the file extension of the file.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-29, 22:02
richrk:

From your latest series of questions we are evidentially we are having a communication breakdown. I don't know the cause of that communication breakdown but I would like to resolve it.

… As I posted when clicking on the larger files in the Shoebox file list Spybot Search and Destroy opens. This puzzles me. …
I attempted to explain what could be happening in my first post.

… Spybot could just be scanning the files because there is no default program for that file extension or the Spybot right click context menu scan has now become the default program for a left double click that that file extension. ...
If there is there something in that explanation that is unclear, please let me know so that I can attempt to clarify the explanation.

_____

… If I deleted these files would the data or updates in Spybot be gone? …
As I attempted to indicate before:

They are not Spybot files. ...
Therefore deleting those file should have absolutely no affect on Spybot.

However, if you delete those files the data for the program that those files are actually for would be gone!!!

_____

It seems that you may have discovered what program those file actually belong to:

I did a search of the Microsoft Picture It installation disc and these files are shoebox files which is a Microsoft shared help file in the program. …
If what you found is accurate and you delete those files it could possible affect "Microsoft Picture It!".

… Are these files "shared" between Spybot and Picture It? …
No.

…What if I uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot and Picture It? Can you suggest any way to reduce the size of these files
Since those file are not Spybot files if you "... uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot" it would not have any affect on Spybot but would also would not affect the size of those files.

... What if I uninstalled/reinstalled Spybot and Picture It? Can you suggest any way to reduce the size of these files

If the files were installed by "Microsoft Picture It!", then if you "uninstalled/reinstalled" "Microsoft Picture It!" the uninstall may or may not eliminate (delete) the files depending on how the Add/Remove Programs uninstall has been programmed to handle those files.

In any case, I doubt if the size of the files would be reduced during the reinstallation unless you are allow to choose different installation options during the reinstallation and actually can eliminate those files from being installed without adversely affecting "Microsoft Picture It!".

richrk
2009-01-29, 23:59

I tried right click and "open with" and nothing on the list would open any program.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/spybotrightclickcropped.jpg

I clicked scan with Spybot and got this.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/scanenginecropped.jpg

A left click on the file got me this.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/Spybotprogram.jpg

If Spybot is "scanning the files" would I not get the scanning engine as in the second window above with the LEFT click?

One thing I thought of trying is to move those Large files to a flash drive and see if Spybot, Picture It or anything else is affected. If anything goes wrong I'll put them back.

I apologize for my lack of clear understanding of your posts and appreciate the time and effort to assist me.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-30, 07:30
richrk:

I believe there may be a conflict between the file extensions used by Spybot and those used by Microsoft Picture It!.

I originally asked:

What are the full file names including the file extensions?
In the list you provided some file extensions were omitted. Is it one of those files that is opening Spybot? If so, what is the full file name including the file extension of one of the files that starts Spybot?
Using Windows Explorer navigate to the folder were these files reside.
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Uncheck the following option:
Hide extensions for known file types
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
All the file extensions of all the files should now be displayed.

richrk
2009-01-30, 15:38
Here is the shoebox folder in Picture It with file extensions. The larger files with the magnifying glass over the file icon that have the .sbs extension open Spybot with the left click. As in the window the blue highlighted file P18pb.sbs is typed "Spyware supplemental file"

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/RichK_album/shoeboxfileextensionsSmall.jpg

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-30, 16:08
richrk:

Those files open with Spybot because they have a file extension of .sbs which is also one of the file extentions I listed above that are used by Spybot:
.disabled
.sbe
.sbi
.sbs
.tnfo
.uti
.uts
However, they are not Spybot files just because they have a file extension of .sbs. When you install Spybot the file extension of .sbs is equated to Spybot and double clicking on any .sbs file will start Spybot unless you change it to start another program.

Deleting those files would have no affect on Spybot because they are not Spybot files. However, I don't what affect deleting them would have on "Microsoft Picture It!".

richrk
2009-01-30, 17:40
I moved (maybe delete later) the large .sbs files (288MB) from the Shoebox folder to a flash drive. So far Picture It! and Spybot both seem to be working OK.

One more question I have is how did the .sbs files become so huge? Do they increase in size with Spybot updates or Teatimer. In the Picture It! help file index quite a list of file suffixes are listed that are used by the program but no .sbs.

Again, thanks for your help.

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-30, 17:55
richrk:

I have no idea how they got to be the size they are because THEY ARE NOT SPYBOT FILES and are not used by either Spybot or TeaTimer!!!