PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Get Rid of 2 System Startup Items No Matter What I Do - Please Help

cwb1014
2009-01-28, 23:01
I'm showing 2 items in my System Startup panel (in the Tools section) that I cannot get rid of, no matter what I do.

They are both are shown with the Key "WinLogon (Current system)" and their Values are a) "Go ToAssist" and b) "LBTWlgn". Their Command lines are a) "C:\Program Files\Citrix\Go ToAssist\480\G2AWinLogon.dll" and b) "c:\program files\common files\logitech\bluetooth\LBTWlgn.dll". With respect to a), there is no Citrix folder in C:\Program Files. With respect to b) the path shown is valid.

If I uncheck these in the System Startup panel, they appear checked once again as soon as I reboot my system and open S&D 1.6.0.30. If I delete them and shut down S&D, they appear checked once again as soon as I reopen S&D (I don't even have to reboot for this to occur). I have no desire to have either running at Startup and would be happy to get rid of the Citrix program altogether; the Logitech program I'd like to keep although I presently don't need it as I am not using any Bluetooth feautures on the machine in question.

How to I prevent these items from running on startup? Why do they reappear as checked items when I delete them, close S&D, and reopen S&D? Do I really need to be concerned with any of this (I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the Citrix item can't run at Startup or at any other time if the Citrix folder doesn't even exist in Program Files)?

Many thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer here...

Regards,

cwb1014

:cool:

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-29, 07:04
cwb1014:

There is a program defect in Spybot 1.6.1.30 that prevents the toggling of WinLogon entries. See:
Possible Tools » System Startup facility bug
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=35462
You could export the registry entries from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Import them to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_Disabled
Then delete the original registry entries.

cwb1014
2009-01-29, 07:24
cwb1014:

You could export the registry entries from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Import them to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_Disabled
Then delete the original registry entries.

Thank you for your reply. I'm a little confused though: the GoToAssist and LBTWlgn folders (remember, these are the Values with which I was originally concerned) are already in...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_Disabled,

so I'm wondering what advantage there would be relative to them in moving the entirety of...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_Disabled.

Thanks again for your help here and any clarification(s) that you or anyone else may be able to offer here would be greatly appreciated...

cwb1014

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-29, 07:44
cwb1014:

I never said to move the "entirety" of one registry key to the other.

... How to I prevent these items from running on startup? ...
Now I'm confused. If the entries are already in the HKLM\...\Notify_Disabled registry key and not in then HKLM\...\Notify registry key then they shouldn't be starting at system startup.

cwb1014
2009-01-29, 16:05
cwb1014:
Now I'm confused. If the entries are already in the HKLM\...\Notify_Disabled registry key and not in then HKLM\...\Notify registry key then they shouldn't be starting at system startup.

Right, I agree they shouldn't be running at startup. And I'm not actually sure that they are; what I am sure of, however, is that they are shown in the System Startup panel in the Tools section.

OK, this just in: I just updated to S&D 1.6.2.46 and the 2 entries still appear in the System Startup panel, but they are unchecked, which is, of course, how I want them. I'll try deleting them in a moment and see what happens. OK, I deleted them, but when I reopened S&D, they were still in the System Startup list, although they remained unchecked.

At least in terms of being able to uncheck them in the System Startup panel, it appears the problem has been solved by installing the new version. Why they can't be deleted and why they show up in the System Startup panel at all, given that they're in Notify_Disabled, is beyond me and may reflect bugs in the S&D software.

Thanks again for your help.

cwb1014

md usa spybot fan
2009-01-29, 17:13
cwb1014:

In Spybot 1.6.2.46 the appears that toggling entries bewteen the HKLM\...\Winlogon\Notify and HKLM\...\Winlogon\Notify_Disabled registry keys works correctly. However it appears that the code will not allow you to delete entries from either of those registry keys.

See:
Possible Tools » System Startup facility bug
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=35462