PDA

View Full Version : contentmatch.net AND koolynoody.net over and over and over...

Mordido
2009-01-30, 20:00
I've been dealing with koolynoody.net and contentmatch.net. I have Spybot S&D working at "Highest" Scan Priority, although I'm wondering if I shouldn't have stayed with Time Critical (blocks everything else). I have SpyBlaster working in the background. I have McAfee Security Center. I use SUPERSpyware v. #4.5, and for good measure, I use Comcast Spyware scan Powered by PestPatrol.

Of all the antivirus, Malware, Spyware, and Adware viruses that these anti-virus or antimalware, etc. have been able to stop, the only one that caught Koolynoody.net and contentmatch.net was Comcast Spyware scan Powered by PestPatrol (Yahoo, as does Comcast, provides the same application on their Toolbars free.)

Nonetheless, my point is that for the longest time, when PestPatrol caught contentmatch.net or koolynoody.net, which are Trojan Spyware and/or BHO's, it would delete one Koolynoody.net or Contentmatch.net, and that was it. One day, for reasons I can't remember, I decided to do a search myself on Windows XP registry. I found several installations of Koolynoody.net, when PestPatrol caught it, and, when PestPatrol caught Content.match, same-same.

Point, either my anti-virus application and Spy-Adware-virus applications missed these malicious viruses, or deleted only one installation. Damn "worms." Can anyone explain that? It seems to me that PestPatrol, being the only one to notice these virus, and the other anti-virus application it seems should be able to detect all the installations of a Trojan-worm (and many times a Trojans acts like a BHO, as I understand it) or what's the sense if a worm needs to be deleted several times and most anti-viruses, anti-malware delete only one installation. If there's several more, what do you think the other "worm" installations will do? PestPatrol, Spybot, McAfee, even Windows Live OneCare, are all missing these malicious virus, even if they detect it, they usually delete only one installation. Why? Damn "worms."

Respectfully,
Mordido

Edit
Previous thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24573

drragostea
2009-01-30, 23:31
These two "flagged entries" you are talking about are false positives made by PestPatrol. Sadly, it hasn't been resolved (for some time, months... years maybe).

If you should fix it, Spybot's Immunization count will decrease (but a few not a lot).

And I wouldn't suggest putting Spybot on the Highest priority in normal circumstances because I recall that Time Critical literally blocks everything (maybe important Windows services too). A typical scan should take roughly 9-20 minutes on average (Intel P4, 512MB of RAM, 3.0 Ghz processor), but it can vary.

Conclusion: You have a false positive right there with PestPatrol.

bitman
2009-01-31, 17:26
Mordido,

Since I've explained this before and you obviously are completely confused, let me say it more clearly:

PestPatrol is JUNK, remove it from your PC and your problem will disappear!

As stated by drragostea, these false positives (invalid detections) by PestPatrol are well known and simply confusing, as you've proven here. All of the other programs are correct and PestPatrol is wrong.

And these items are not "worms", they are simply entries in the Internet Explorer Restricted Sites list that PestPatrol is incorrectly detecting as bad entries.

Bitman