PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

DJJulio
2009-02-01, 22:55
I don't know if this is the right forum to post my problem, but i need help!

I have a laptop computer acer Aspire 3680/Vista that suddenly shut down; when I was checking for any problems with the power supply I notice that the bottom was very hot, and since I don't have any warranty on this machine I dicided to open it to find out that the proccessor (Intel M 440) was the one that was really hot; the computer didn't turn back on again, so I don't know if the proccessor is bad or could be something else......

Any help would be appreciated....Thank You.

spybotsandra
2009-02-02, 11:49
Hello,

This can be caused by an too high temperature of your pc.

If your PC is properly designed, its cooling system should handle the devices originally installed without shutting down, even when it operates at 100% load. This of course assumes room temperature and that vents on the PC aren't blocked or the case filled with dust.

If you've changed major components without purchasing them from the orginal PC manufacturer, your taking your chances. There's no way they're going to test all possible devices or know what might happen, so that's why you're getting the run around.

If you've built the PC yourself, you're resposible for the cooling design, since the case and powr supply manufacturer can only give you general specs. True PC manufacturers test the heat caracteristics of the critical devices like CPU and HDD under various ambient temperature conditions with the system running at heavy load for at least several hours. The temperature sensors must stay below certain thresholds to be approved for manufacture or the desgin is changed.

However, be sure to keep the vents clear of dust and pay attention to the sounds of the fan(s), since they indicate that heat is increasing by speeding up in some cases and should normally idle quietly.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

shelf life
2009-02-03, 00:30
i will add: computers can unexpectedly shut down from over heating. Once its cooled off, it should start back up then may over heat again and shut down unexpectedly. Cycling like this should be avoided to prevent possible damage to the CPU.Your internal fan may be shot or as suggested be restricted by dust/blockage in the vent or heat sink. Can you feel a good flow of hot exhaust exiting out the vent?
You should visit your laptops manuf. website for more information on possible causes and solutions.