PDA

View Full Version : What additional software is needed....

mgw2008
2009-02-03, 17:14
I'm sure this has been asked before but can't find anything in the forums:snorkle:

I am running XP with Windos "security center" all switched off. I am using Symantec Firewall and ZoneLabs (of course on different PCs) and Symantec AV. Do these programs infere with Spybot i.e. do I need to get of AV f.i.

Txs

drragostea
2009-02-04, 00:05
No problems with ZoneAlarm. Not sure about Symantec at the moment... it has shady business practices. Can we assume that you have both Norton and Spybot installed on your machine at the moment?

mgw2008
2009-02-04, 10:01
Yep - Symantec AnitVirus and (Symantec Client Firewall or Zonelabs Integrity Client)

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-04, 17:34
mgw2008:

ZoneAlarm (ZoneLabs products) can interfere with Spybot's immunization of "Windows Global (hosts)" if you use it to lock the system's HOSTS file. See:
Various reasons for incomplete immunization
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272

ZoneAlarm users

ZoneAlarm blocks all immunization of the area Windows: Global (Hosts) by protecting this file against changes. To overcome this protection, you could temporarily lift the lock from ZoneAlarms Firewall > Advanced tab. Don't forget to relock it after immunization.
More information about this can be found in threads tagged immunization vs. za ( http://forums.spybot.info/tags.php?tag=immunization+vs.+za).

2009-02-04, 23:34
with those options. However, consider other free antivirus software, besides payed ones. Avast, Avg, and Antivir are all good free alternatives. See these links to see more available antivirus and firewall software:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18603

Note: Only have one antivirus and firewall on your system! Uninstall any firewall you might have, and norton antivirus if you are going to install anything from the links.

mgw2008
2009-02-05, 20:29
with those options. However, consider other free antivirus software, besides payed ones. Avast, Avg, and Antivir are all good free alternatives. See these links to see more available antivirus and firewall software:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18603

Note: Only have one antivirus and firewall on your system! Uninstall any firewall you might have, and norton antivirus if you are going to install anything from the links.

Well, what can I say... we need a firewall and don't trust that Windos thing for various reasons. And we need an AV of some sort that checks emails and downloads. And we need something that tells us that some mediocre software is fiddling around with the registry and other system settings. And we need noscript to secure our Firefox against spam and such. So what's the vote (Spybot plus (virus) plus (firewall) plus (enhanced browser security))?

2009-02-05, 21:41
at any of the links i provided? You can choose an antivirus and firewall out of that list if you want. They are free software. Zonealarm the firewall and avast antivirus is what i use. Along with spybot and windows defender. You are right in saying, that windows firewall should not be used. It is not as secure as a third party firewall; however for some people, it does provide enough protection. Security all depends on the user. Firefox is a great choice of a browser. Teatimer should protect you from any registry attacks and the like. Just know that there is no such thing as perfect security. 3,000 flaws come out for programs and operating systems every day. Security is only as good as your weakest link. Basically, your computer will never be unhackable. If someone badly wants your files enough, they will get them. You just have to try your best to keep your computer protected, back up your files, and be smart. How safe you are and what chances you are going to take, all is determined by the user every time that computer is turned on. The computer is a great tool, just be aware of the issues. Which you seem to be.

Good luck and safe surfing :)

drragostea
2009-02-06, 02:48
If someone badly wants your files enough, they will get them.
Hehe, based on a joke... My machines are 'unhackable' and files are hidden. How? You disconnect it from the Internet completely, no connection whatsoever. :present:

mgw2008
2009-02-06, 10:29
Hehe, based on a joke... My machines are 'unhackable' and files are hidden. How? You disconnect it from the Internet completely, no connection whatsoever. :present:

Well, actually it's not that far away. Consider an appliance that would basically provide a DMZ with firewall and XML preprocessing capabilities (to inspect "envelopes") and built-in Virus scan. It should be possible to build and sell this box for about $100. In fact that would isolate your PCs from the Internet - not to speak about "stupid" users browsing the net, of course... I guess this is pretty much a "philosophical" discussion... I'm always amazed about the lack of attention that users pay - maybe most of just don't care too much.

2009-02-06, 14:53

What about cd's, thumb drives, etc.? Just because you are not connected, doesn't mean it can't get you still. ;) haha just kidding. Well, sorta. Its true though that you can still get infected by those items quite easily. Even if your not on the Internet, i think you should still have some antivirus.

And your right mgw2008, i as well feel sometimes that users do not care. But that is there problem. We do the best we can to teach people, and if they do not want to listen; well that is why people still get paid to fix computers. :) Ha, but sometimes users just do not have the time to learn; or are unable to understand certain things. And i can understand that. :) Kind of how I know nothing about cars, but i know how to drive one. ;)

drragostea
2009-02-07, 01:34
True, flash drives too... now when that reminds me about the trojan that spreads... was it Conficker?

We do the best we can to teach people, and if they do not want to listen; well that is why people still get paid to fix computers.
Yeah... still. Kinda true. It's kinda like the way of life... we've told them and if they are still naive, then so be it.
_

Kind of how I know nothing about cars, but i know how to drive one.
That's why you get Transformers (themselves) :D:. Lots of fun :laugh:.

2009-02-07, 06:20
ha that was good. ya something like con something. And yup, some people just have a hard time with stuff. Like i have with math. ;) Exactly why I cannot be a programmer, sigh*. :(

ha, I wont forget that joke. Thats funny. ;)