PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista SP1 + UAC + Normal User Account

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 00:29
I'm trying to deploy a system with Spybot (TeaTimer enabled) in a Windows Vista with UAC on, under a normal user account, but TeaTimer won't start.

I usually work this sort of issue by creating a Windows task and elevate the process rights. The problem is that, there is no TeaTimer in Spybot's folder.

How can I do it?

Regards

PepiMK
2009-02-04, 00:58
There is one, it just has attributes readonly, hidden and system ;)

Type in attrib to see it :)

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 01:16
There is one, it just has attributes readonly, hidden and system ;)

Type in attrib to see it :)

Yes, I see it.

I created the task with administrative rights for TeaTimer.exe, but it still won't appear in the tray bar.

Is there any argument I need to place in the task? I checked Spybot's (in the Admin account) Tools - system startup information and TeaTimer.exe is there, but I see no special arguments next to it. All there is is C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe.

Am I missing something? I just can't get TeaTimer to start. Even if I manually open Spybot, TeaTimer still won't appear.

Regards

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 15:17
I uninstalled Spybot from the Admin account, since I first installed it there. Reinstalled it on the normal user account, but I still couldn't run TeaTimer.exe.

I started the session with the Admin account, and I noticed that TeaTimer.exe is being prevented from loading by UAC, though TeaTimer.exe is set to run with administrative rights by default, upon installation. So, why won't it run? No idea.

What did I do? I disabled TeaTimer.exe from auto starting on boot up. Created a task, running it with high privileges. Rebooted the system. TeaTimer.exe loads this time. Something, that, previously, I could not make happen.

I ended Admin session and logged into normal user account. No deal. TeaTimer won't load.

I honestly am out of ideas. I even tried installing Spybot in Shared Documents folder. No deal.

If TeaTimer is set for adm full rights, then why won't it just load on normal user account with UAC on?

Regards

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 16:02
I have it working!

For anyone who may wish to use Windows Vista normal account with UAC on, just do the following.

1 - Open Spybot with administrative rights.
2 - Go to Tools section (You need to have Advanced Mode enabled).
3 - System Startup - Insert a new startup entry.
4 - Select "Create for all users (HKEY_Local_Machine). It will make it work for the all system and not just adm.
5 - Name it Spybot TeaTimer, for faster future reference, where says Name of link.
6 - Linked file - input this C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

7 - You're done. Reboot your system to see if TeaTimer module loads and show on tray bar.

Regards

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 19:15
Unfortunaly, although TeaTimer does load, whenever I start Spybot, it won't start with administrative rights. Something needed to immunize...

You guys need to make Spybot work 100% in limited user accounts.

One way could be to create a task with high privileges and then create a shortcut linking to that task, but, I don't like shortcuts on my Desktop, neither that many folders (where I could keep those special shortcuts). I like it clean. :D

Please, look into it.

Thanks

Regards

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-04, 20:31
m00nbl00d:

... whenever I start Spybot, it won't start with administrative rights. Something needed to immunize...
Since in Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order run certain things within Spybot-S&D, you should be able to permanently elevate Spybot's administrative rights. For example if you are starting Spybot from a desktop shortcut, right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties. Then go into Application Compatibility and select "Run As administrator".

m00nbl00d
2009-02-04, 22:31
The problem is that, under normal accounts (limited accounts), that won't work. It works fine under Administrator accounts with UAC on, but not on normal accounts.

Not even by creating a Windows task elevating Spybot's main process rights and then a shortcut linking to it. It won't open Spybot, at all. It won't work that way in normal accounts. Only on Admin. accounts. Sounds stupid, but it works that way.

The only way to run Spybot with Admin. rights, under a normal account, is to right click the icon and execute as Admin. That will do it. But, it gets annoying.

I managed to automatically load TeaTimer, though. That's not a problem anymore.

One other curious thing I noticed is that, now, everytime I start the Admin. account, Windows Defender, through UAC, will prevent TeaTimer from loading. The funny thing is that I see no process being blocked by Windows Defender, so that's odd. If I disable UAC it will load. No idea about what happened to cause this.

Anyway, some work should be done about this. Spybot is the only tool, I've come across with that ended up in this situation - TeaTimer being blocked in Admin. account, having full rights. It used to load fine before I created the normal user account.

Perhaps, something Spybot team should check.

Regards

m00nbl00d
2009-02-08, 16:05
I just wanted to ask if anyone has been able to fully run Spybot under a Windows Vista normal user account, behind UAC?

I tried everything, but, either it only runs in the admin account or just in the normal user account, but never in both.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

m00nbl00d
2009-02-10, 13:28
I tried to start TeaTimer, again, making use of the Task Scheduler, and this time, I started it as a Local Service.
The TeaTimer tasks does start for both accounts (Admin. and Normal User), but it won't appear in the tray bar.

I still don't know if TeaTimer works, though. Didn't test, yet.

My conclusion: Spybot wasn't tested to work 100% in both accounts.

This is clearly something that needs to be worked out.

Regards

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-10, 13:52
m00nbl00d:

re: TeaTimer.

TeaTimer must be activated individually for each user. To enable TeaTimer for a user:
While logged on to the user account, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (answer "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

m00nbl00d
2009-02-10, 14:29
m00nbl00d:

re: TeaTimer.

TeaTimer must be activated individually for each user. To enable TeaTimer for a user:
While logged on to the user account, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (answer "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Yes, I know. That's the same as starting a task for the all system. It will run fine under normal account, but TeaTimer will be prevented from loading to the tray bar in the Admin. account by Windows Defender, trough UAC. Something I already related.

Spybot, will, either work 100% for the normal account or just the admin. account. Never for both. That's not what I wish to achieve. Of course, if nothing else can be done, then I'll stick with what I already achieved before - Working fine on normal account, but not in the admin. account.

Either way, I hope the next version of Spybot works fine under any account. It's something that needs to be fully tested.

Perhaps, one way of achieving it, would be to start Spybot as a service... It's something I noticed in all other security tools I tested - they're all started with services. That's why they work fine on both accounts, AFAIK.

jprice
2010-04-28, 12:19
I'm having similar problems starting SpybotSD and Teatimer under Windows 7.

Both programs start up automatically only if I log on to an administrator account.

The only way I can start the programs from standard user account is to manually start SpybotSD using "run as an administrator".

If I autostarted the programs by logging on to an administrator account, and then switch to a standard user account, both programs will still be running. But if I log out of the administrator account, both programs exit.