PDA

View Full Version : unwanted spybot folder window each time I boot

linuxuser
2005-11-18, 22:49
I installed Spytbot recently to get a second opinion to ad-aware.

I am impressed by the product and I applaud your community spirit but it has one unfortunate characteristic. Each time I boot and log in there is an open window showing spybot folders. I close this and next time, there it is again. I decide what appears on my desktop and to my mind this is as obnoxious as a popup and will be sufficient cause to uninstall spybot s&d.

So to the point: how do I get rid of this window?

Ed

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-18, 23:28
Ed:

Can you explain the following a little more:

Each time I boot and log in there is an open window showing spybot folders.
Are describing when you boot and log in that a Windows Explorer session (application/process/thread) is opening displaying the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
The only similar problem that I can recall was that after the installation of Spybot someone had renamed Spybot's "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program folder because they though the name was too long. When they attempted to start Spybot they opened a Windows Explorer session instead of Spybot. However this occurred when Spybot was opened (started) not when logging in.

manman
2006-01-20, 05:00
I am having the same problem: A few days back I installed 1.4 after uninstalling 1.3. The first time the folder came up after I reboot I though it would be some residue of the installation since some programs do show you the folder after installing the new programs. After a few startups, I am still having the folder come up first thing.

I did not have this using the previous version, but I had not activated the tea timer with the previous version either. I am inclined to think tea timer is behind this somehow.

I was wondering if you guys came up with an answer; I would hate to let spybot go because of this dumb nuisance.

Thanks!!

briannospy
2007-12-14, 23:38
I am having the same difficulty. The problem began after I upgraded to 1.5 from 1.4. With every system boot, the folder opens and stays open. I tried turning off the teatimer and selected "no automation" under the spybot startup settings. Furthermore, windows uninstaller says it doesn't know how to uninstall the new spybot when I try to revert back to 1.4

Using XP SP2.

briannospy
2007-12-14, 23:48
Ed:

The only similar problem that I can recall was that after the installation of Spybot someone had renamed Spybot's "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program folder because they though the name was too long. When they attempted to start Spybot they opened a Windows Explorer session instead of Spybot. However this occurred when Spybot was opened (started) not when logging in.

You were right. The problem was an unused spybot folder labeled "spybot" rather than "Spybot - Search and Destroy" from a previous installation. It did open on startup though.

Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-12-15, 00:31
Briannospy:

Thanks!
You're certainly welcome.

ps: I'm sure glad that you found this thread because although I may have remembered the cause and affect of a similar problem, I'm sure it would have taken me a while to either look up this thread or rewrite the solution

regards,
md usa spybot fan

guyabk
2008-01-20, 12:36
For Windows XP Home SP2, use Windows Explorer to search all Spybot folders.
I found two: one labelled Spybot containing three folders, another labelled Spybot-Search & Destroy containing the same three folders and some others and some files. Trash the Spybot folder, leaving the Spybot-Search & Destroy one, and all should be well.
How on Earth such an infuriating glitch could ever happen in the first place is beyond me!