PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer memory usage

gibot
2009-02-04, 17:59
I have just did a clean install of spybot 1.6.2 and when I look at the task manager for memory usage, Tea timer is using about 54 MB of memory. Is this normal or there is something that cause the memory usage to be that high?
my system is xp sp3 with avg free installed and malwarebyte installed.

Tom.K
2009-02-04, 19:52
This is usual. TeaTimer unfortunately, takes lots of memory usage and sometimes CPU usage (at startup) because it loads LASSH database and additional database from Spybot-S&D include/supplemental files. Note that even if it takes more memory usage, don't use memory optimizers to reduce the size of memory usage for stability reasons.

2009-02-04, 23:44
Its true that teatimer does take a high level of cpu usage, however; the protection it offers is worth it in my opinion. :)

However, If teatimer is causing your computer to slow down, or act sluggish, you can easily disable it. You will lose the active protection, but if you do a scan once a week you should be fine.

To disable teatimer:

Open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. Click yes. Then go to tools-resident. Uncheck teatimer-protection over all systems active. Close spybot, and then restart the computer. Teatimer is now disabled.

Hope that helps you further make a decision and/or understand. :)

gibot
2009-02-05, 00:36
I also installed tea timer on my laptop. Initially when I restart, tea timer would take about 46 mB of memory. But after awhile, the memory usage got down to about 3MB. Unfortunately it does not happen with my desktop. THe memory usage is steady at 58MB. What makes the difference? Is it because my laptop has less things installed? Can somebody please explain.

drragostea
2009-02-05, 01:26
gibot, I don't think there is a difference. And the amount of files that is installed or in your machine is not a variable and does not affect TeaTimer's usage.

58MB of memory usage to be is average, when you look at machines that are built that come with at least 1GB of RAM, 58MB of memory is nothing to me. Either you have the resources to run it or you do not run it at all. On a decent 512MB of RAM (a P4 Sony Vaio built in 2003), it is more than enough to run TeaTimer.