PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Aware telling me I have a TAI 10

Millennium Turtle
2009-02-05, 01:32
I have been using SB and Ad-Aware together for years now and for the first time ever, AD came up with a CRITICAL OBJECT listed as a TAI 10 in my SB folder.

here are the particulars:

983 Win32.Trojan.Spy Virus 10
[536469] File: c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy\sdhelper.dll
[536469] Process Hash: c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy\sdhelper.dll

I ran KASPERSKY online scan for the folder C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy and got back no threats. I also installed AVG and did a scan on my whole comp and got back zero threats.

The only thing that comes back as a serious threat is the Ad-Aware scan listed above.

should I be concerned or what? Should I delete the sdhelper.dll file?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

drragostea
2009-02-05, 01:37
I have no idea (not even the slightest clue) why Lavasoft's AdAware is flagging a legitimate anti-spyware application. I say that this is a false positive. SDHelper is the Resident protection for IE in Spybot-Search&Destroy.

I would not suggest you remove it.
Hope Team Spybot sees this thread and see what they can do about this.

Millennium Turtle
2009-02-05, 01:45
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure what's going on either but it has been a while since I've done a re-install and I'm seriously considering it. My only dilemma is what to do with the 20G or so of data I have allowed to accumulate. I'm thinking an online file storage site is the way to go.

drragostea
2009-02-05, 02:28
I'm going to go off topic for a second.
Well, 20GB is a lot so you should protect it well. I'm not so familiar with how online storage works but I'm assuming it works by uploading all your documents to a safe storage place. A even better situation would be to buy a physical storage device like a external hard drive (flash drives don't work that well because most go up to 8GB. 16GB and 32GB flash drives are uncommon to find in your local electronics retail store (Eg. Best Buy)).

I'm not so sure what is going on either, so it would be best if Team Spybot will look into this. I'm pretty sure this is a false positive (possible with hueretics?).

m00nbl00d
2009-02-05, 02:37
Which version of Ad-Aware?

I just ran a scan with Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Free (latest version with latest updates). It didn't flag anything in Spybot's folder.

CalamityJane
2009-02-05, 02:40
Hi, that certainly looks like an False Positive by Ad-Aware. It would certainly help them to fix it if you would post it at their forums in the False Positives area.

Here is the "how to"
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033

Tronald
2009-02-05, 07:24
As CalamityJane said, you should post your info at the LavaSoft forums in their False Positive area. There are already a couple of threads active there on this issue that a few people have posted in.

It affected me on both Ad-Aware AE and 2008 with the 146.0005 definition file today. I have been using the Spybot S & D integrated updater and my help:about says v1.6.0.31. LavaSoft has indicated that they do not see the problem with the latest v1.6.2 download, so that may be an option. YMMV, of course.

spybotsandra
2009-02-05, 13:30
Hello,

This false positive from AdAware has already been fixed.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot