PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall help

Hexad
2009-02-06, 06:19
I am running Windows XP Pro. I am attempting to install McAfee ViruScan Plus. The installation program says to remove Spybot as it is incompatible. I ran the Windows uninstall, deleted the desktop icons, deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\, deleted an exe file from the Windows\Prefetch folder, and have rebooted several times. The McAfee installation program still says that I must remove Spybot. McAfee tech support says Spybot version 1.5.2.20 is on my system, but I can't find any files or folders with "Spybot" or "TeaTimer" in the name. Spybot does not appear on the add/remove programs list. What do I need to remove to eliminate Spybot and allow the McAfee installation to proceed?

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-06, 08:07
Hexad:

If you installed Spybot into the default installation directory, "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy" and that directory is no longer there, than all the programs should have been deleted.

Hexad
2009-02-06, 16:08
That directory is definitely gone, but the problem persists.

Hexad
2009-02-06, 16:22
I have also found and removed 4 registry entries with "spybot", "teatimer", and "1.5.2" in the keys. Still having problems.

Hexad
2009-02-06, 20:05
I found and deleted dozens more registry keys and the install finally went through.