PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer crashes when system is idle..

mr 3d
2009-02-09, 18:56
Hi, I have an old computer runnig windows 98. To secure it from malware I installed spybot and teatimer. Everything works just fine except when the system is idle for a while a white error message pops up with no text and only the button close. If I click close teatimer shuts down and the whole system becomes unstable, I get "not enough memmory" messages when trying to run applications although I've got plenty of memory. Is there any way to fix this? I would rather not disable teatimer since Windows 98 is so insecure.

PS: I checked that it is not a conflict with the screensaver. This problem occurs even with the screensaver disabled.

spybotsandra
2009-02-10, 14:50
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mr 3d
2009-02-10, 20:54
I am using spybot version 1.6.0.30

drragostea
2009-02-10, 23:58
Uninstall this version because it is dated and download the latest version (1.6.2):
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-

2009-02-11, 00:01
Please uninstall and download a fresh copy of spybot found here (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html).

Let us know if that resolves the issue you are experiencing. :)

Edit:

haha drragostea beat me to it again ;)

mr 3d
2009-02-11, 16:23
Oh I didn't know that there was newer version since I reinstalled the system and downloaded spybot only a week ago :P. Thank you very much, I think this solved my problem :)

2009-02-13, 21:06
Let us know if you have any more problems/concerns. Thanks for using spybot! :)

Avrel
2009-02-14, 00:32
I am not a security expert but, I just would like to raise a little flag about the fact that teatimer is using a lot of memory. Personally, teatimer is taking 57,640 ko. Maybe this may be link to a part of his problem, running teatimer under windows 98 and maybe he does not have enough memory in his computer.

Just a thought. :)

drragostea
2009-02-14, 03:15
You can always disable TeaTimer.
Thing is that newer machines built today have more resources and it is more than enough for TeaTimer to run smoothly with no problems. If you have the money, you can always upgrade your current machine or purchase a new more powerful one, or you'll just have to live with what you have and make the best out of it.

mr 3d
2009-02-14, 07:35
Even though the computer is old it still has 256 mb of memmory and that's quite good for such an old computer. I have not had any problems now since installing the new version.

bitman
2009-02-15, 07:15
Even though the computer is old it still has 256 mb of memmory and that's quite good for such an old computer. I have not had any problems now since installing the new version.
Unfortunately, your problem with Windows 98 resources can't be solved no matter how much memory you add, it's a design limitation of that outdated and unsupported (by Microsoft and everyone but Spybot S&D) operating system.

The problem isn't the amount of RAM, you could have multiple Gigs and Windows 98 still couldn't use it. The limitation is related to the User and GDI portions of memory and the fact that these have a hard limit that doesn't change no matter how much RAM you add.

Resource Management Under Microsoft Windows
http://apptools.com/rants/resources.php

The reason that Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2 has less issues with these memory areas are changes made to the program to reduce the effects. Since Patrick Kolla the programmer of Spybot S&D wishes to continue support for the older Win9x operating systems, he specifically made design changes to reduce the drain on these critical memory resources in the current version.

However, regardless of this fact, it's still dangerous to continue using an operating system that no longer receives any support from the original manufacturer, since it hasn't received any security or other updates in at least three years now.

Bitman