PDA

View Full Version : Win Explorer crashes when selecting MP3, WMA files

HandsFour
2009-02-10, 01:34
Hello - since I ran my first Spybot scan and fix on this Windows 2000 PC, Windows Explorer crashes ("generated errors and needs to close") every time I select a MP3 or WMA file. This had not happened before I installed Spybot. I have these files run in Media Player. I have not encountered this issue with any other type of file, including M4A (iTunes) files. Do I need to restore something from Recovery to avoid this problem?

Here is the malware that my initial scan found and removed:
Win32.agent-gen.cws
NewsUpdate
ISearchTech.ISTsvc
eXact Advertising.BargainsBuddy
DyFuCA
various forms of CoolWWWSearch

Thank you.

Matt
2009-02-10, 15:19
Do I need to restore something from Recovery to avoid this problem?

Here is the malware that my initial scan found and removed:
Win32.agent-gen.cws
NewsUpdate
ISearchTech.ISTsvc
eXact Advertising.BargainsBuddy
DyFuCA
various forms of CoolWWWSearch

Thank you.

Hi HandsFour,

welcome to Safer Networking Forums. :)

If I were you, I would do the following step:

Please read the sticky thread "BEFORE you POST" (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) and after that open a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22).

A security expert will help you to remove it there.

Best regards,
-Matt-

tashi
2009-02-10, 16:32
Hello HandsFour,

Please open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About and let us know the version and date of last definitions.

Also what other security programs are installed.

Best regards.

HandsFour
2009-02-11, 09:25
Thank you for your replies.

I have Spybot version 1.6.2.46 installed. Latest detection update 2/4/09.

Sadly (and flame away!), I am not aware of other security software functioning on this PC. It is the computer I use at a small nonprofit, and it had various spyware on it when I took the job. Though the PC has worked fine for my purposes once I stopped using IE, I'm trying to clean it up some now. (for one thing, my home computer now will not boot, and I wonder if it might be due to some nastiness I brought home from work.)

I did read that Spybot is intended for home computers, but since at this tiny office we basically have to be our own IT people, I hoped you could help anyway.

Should I run HJT and post the log in the Malware forum?

Thanks.

tashi
2009-02-11, 22:27
Hi HandsFour,

Yes go ahead and follow the links in -Matt- 's post please, also provide a link back to this topic so that our helpers are aware of the unique situation. :)

Best regards.

HandsFour
2009-02-12, 11:03
Thanks, I will. Unfortunately I'm in a time crunch now, but I'll do so by early next week.